2002-2003-2004-2005 Front Struts & Rear Shocks

Notice: This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you. Thank you for your support!
biddle

biddle

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Last seen
Thunderbird Year

Attachments

• trunk-support-lifts.jpg
    trunk-support-lifts.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 4
  • hood-support-lifts.jpg
    hood-support-lifts.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 2
  • 1600719647919.png
    1600719647919.png
    222 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
A cold rainy day, so a good time to replace the rear struts on my Red T Bird. Replaced the front struts about 17
months ago, made a huge difference. Harder than the front only because you have to remove several items
to get to the top strut mounting plate. Included some photos of the trunk package area since many have never
seen what is behind all that panels. As you can see one of the struts is leaking oil, with only 13k miles. Age gets
to the seals.

tblrwheel.jpgtbrrwheel.jpgtbrr strutmount.jpgtb both struts.jpgtb leaking strut.jpgtb r package area.jpgtb l package area.jpgtb right trunk.jpg

I'm looking to replace the front and rear struts on my 2004, I'm assuming they are OEM. Not looking for a performance upgrade, just a nice ride. Any suggestions? Plan on replacing entire unit springs and all.

thanks

• Like/Thanks
Reactions: AJW
I just put the KYB struts on my 2005 with 47k ....They really improved the ride and handling. I bought mine and got the Monroe mounting plates, had them installed on the original springs. Had my local repair shop install them, 5 hrs. labor. Totally worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used Monroe quick struts. New springs and struts, built into one unit, no need for someone to compress the springs on the unit. Easy enough to do it at home.

I just had the “new to me” 2003 put in the lift by my mechanic. He indicated that the passenger side strut was leaking oil and that the suspension components were in need of replacement. I decided to replace the shocks, struts and all of the suspension components.
Are the KYB shocks and struts, linked to above still recommend?
Also, how to tell whether the springs need to be replaced also?

Bought a 2003 with 67,000 miles as a present for my wife. Car starts fine, roof works, but the ride is shaky. Basically, it appears that the car sat in the garage for the kast decade; judging by the Carfax history, it has been driven about 10,000 miles in the last 10 years. Tires look brand new and are 9 years old. I just ordered a new set.
I took it to my mechanic, who put it on the lift and showed me that the front passenger side strut was leaking. The rubber suspension components are also going. I ordered this complete suspension components replacement set from eBay, recommended here - https://www.ebay.com/itm/1726107725...pid=5338236430&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1
Also ordered the new struts and rear shocks.
Aside from above mentioned things, what else should the mechanic do and what else needs replacing when the car is in the shop? I don't want us to be stranded on a country road in Maine. Thanks!

Aside from above mentioned things, what else should the mechanic do and what else needs replacing when the car is in the shop? I don't want us to be stranded on a country road in Maine. Thanks!
Ask the mechanic. Nobody here can see your car on the rack. Any responses here are pure guesswork. The car is over 2 decades old, so it needs inspected in person.

Back