2002-2003-2004-2005 Ford Thunderbird Hardtop Stand Caddy

TwoTires

TwoTires

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hot weather is now history in Tucson, so the time came to remove the hardtop. Several months ago, in preparation for the event, I purchased a hardtop caddy from Amazon. Assembly was easy and the finished caddy appeared well made and strong. Got my top removal team together and lifted off the top from sides carrying over the trunk (which I padded) and set the top on the caddy. It came with a retaining strap to secure it and a cover to protect the top from dirt and dust. Rolled the caddy against the wall and it moved easily and securely. Surprising was how little it stuck out (19") from the wall as can be seen in the photo next to a metal storage rack. I recommend this unit, and it appears to be a good investment.
Hardtop Caddy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hot weather is now history in Tucson, so the time came to remove the hardtop. Several months ago, in preparation for the event, I purchased a hardtop caddy from Amazon. Assembly was easy and the finished caddy appeared well made and strong. Got my top removal team together and lifted off the top from sides carrying over the trunk (which I padded) and set the top on the caddy. It came with a retaining strap to secure it and a cover to protect the top from dirt and dust. Rolled the caddy against the wall and it moved easily and securely. Surprising was how little it stuck out (19") from the wall as can be seen in the photo next to a metal storage rack. I recommend this unit, and it appears to be a good investment.
View attachment 25479
Wait till you go to put it back on. Not so easy. I did this recently and it was very stressful and we fumbled alot with just two people. It made me think to suggest at least three or four people, not like in the Ford video. My video would not have looked like that. There was yelling and bumbling. And one of the important jobs I thought of in retrospect, could be done by having someone sit on their knees, facing backwards, and when the team is trying to put the top back on, have that person guide and nudge the top so that you get the two pins in the hole. One that is done you are home free. This is not so easy for two people to do cause if you are doing the lifting you can't see the holes.

Also, another suggestion, again different from taking it off and plunking it on the stand......when putting it on I will next time rock it off the stand and set it on the ground behind the car on a blanket. Reason for doing this is when you lift up the roof from the stand and then swivel it 90 degrees to walk it over the car you will find that your hands need to be in very different positions to balance things. Jiggling your hands to a new spot to get them in a good position to balance the roof so it isn't tipping over is not a confidence building experience.

It heavy and its awkward, but of course, looks great when its all done.

Wait till you go to put it back on. Not so easy. I did this recently and it was very stressful and we fumbled alot with just two people. It made me think to suggest at least three or four people, not like in the Ford video. My video would not have looked like that. There was yelling and bumbling. And one of the important jobs I thought of in retrospect, could be done by having someone sit on their knees, facing backwards, and when the team is trying to put the top back on, have that person guide and nudge the top so that you get the two pins in the hole. One that is done you are home free. This is not so easy for two people to do cause if you are doing the lifting you can't see the holes.

Also, another suggestion, again different from taking it off and plunking it on the stand......when putting it on I will next time rock it off the stand and set it on the ground behind the car on a blanket. Reason for doing this is when you lift up the roof from the stand and then swivel it 90 degrees to walk it over the car you will find that your hands need to be in very different positions to balance things. Jiggling your hands to a new spot to get them in a good position to balance the roof so it isn't tipping over is not a confidence building experience.

It heavy and its awkward, but of course, looks great when its all done.
I have a 2 car garage and no room for placing flat on a stand. We use three people to handle the top. I've done it 3X now, no big deal. Come off easy and back on without an issue. You just need to be careful by taking it slow and not having any obstacles on the floor that could get you into trouble. I place moving pads on the trunk lid as a safeguard.

Looking for advice on hardtop storage. I rarely use the hardtop, but it's on the car right now because I had to pull it off the rack to make way for something else. But it needs to come off the car again for an upcoming wedding.

The rack is okay, but I just can't find a suitable place to keep it. Something or someone was always bumping into it before. I have a pallet rack in my storage building that I'm considering to use. Of course I'll use blankets or other insulation to prevent scratches, but I'm interested to know if anyone else has stored their top on a shelf this way. I'm thinking it should sit upside down, but I wondered if this might cause it to warp or otherwise de-form.

Any thoughts? Right-side up? Upside-down? Don't do it at all? LOL I wish I had room for one of the winches but that's not a possibility here. It didn't go back on the car perfectly this last time, and I'm thinking it may have deformed a little from just sitting upright on the rack for 4.5 years.

Thanks for any suggestions!

I have a 2 car garage and no room for placing flat on a stand. We use three people to handle the top. I've done it 3X now, no big deal. Come off easy and back on without an issue. You just need to be careful by taking it slow and not having any obstacles on the floor that could get you into trouble. I place moving pads on the trunk lid as a safeguard.
Good move on the blankets some fools will just keep slamming the pins into the paint till they find the holes

I have one similar, when not in use I disassemble it and assemble it to store the hard top, it does the job of course I would prefer the OEM.

JoseG, thank you for the reply! I’m glad that you find it adequate for the job. I see that the prices for an oem stand can be rather high, unless one happens upon a good deal. I will probably order this replacement stand before something bad happens to the top, when someone unwittingly knocks it over in our garage.

There are many after-market stands for hard tops on eBay, they appear to be universal, not specifically targeted for the 2002-2005 Thunderbird. They are about $90, and include a storage bag. I don't want to spend a lot on the oem stand, just need this to store the hard top in the garage.
Has anyone bought one, and if so, what are your thoughts on these?

Here's an example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/3043729440...pid=5338236430&customid=&toolid=10001&mkevt=1
Most people's buy the hardtop caddy shown above. Considering the top is worth 2500++, why get the cheapest one?

I recently bought one of those stand off eBay for $ 60.00. with out the cover. The stand works well so far. It was cheaper because of the paint job on it, it was flawed. I know how to use a rattle can.

Back