2002-05 Changing Oil Step by step Instructions

brebod
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Can anyone give me step by step on how to change the oil in my 2002 Tbird. Also, which is the best oil to use?? Please and thank you!

Moderator Note-

Last edited by a moderator:
Please follow the guidelines when posting. "Chaning Oil" is not a summary of your post and does not have the model year(s).
I updated your subject for you.
model-year-TBF.jpg

Hi.
Well, what I do, is lift each side with a floor jack on the jack points and slip a 6x12 block under each tire. That gives me enough room to reach under and open the drain plug. The filter is near the front of the motor so is easily accessible. Drain, install a new filter, then lower. I use Castrol 5/20 full synthetic. Whole job takes 30 minutes.

Hope this helps,
John

Hi.
Well, what I do, is lift each side with a floor jack on the jack points and slip a 6x12 block under each tire. That gives me enough room to reach under and open the drain plug. The filter is near the front of the motor so is easily accessible. Drain, install a new filter, then lower. I use Castrol 5/20 full synthetic. Whole job takes 30 minutes.

Hope this helps,
John
How often/many miles do you change oil? Thx

Whatever you do, BE CAREFUL! I never had the opportunity to meet my grandfather. He was crushed while working under a car before I was born. My car goes to my buddy’s shop where it goes up on a proper lift.

Whatever you do, BE CAREFUL! I never had the opportunity to meet my grandfather. He was crushed while working under a car before I was born. My car goes to my buddy’s shop where it goes up on a proper lift.
Also, it's a pain to properly dispose of oil and you don't really save that much money when the time/effort is taken into account. After you get to a certain age, it's just not worth the time effort it takes to properly recycle the oil, etc.

That is true for some people, for me I find it easier than taking it to a shop. I do it when I want, no waiting, oil goes back into the jug and back to the autoparts store next time I'm there.

That is true for some people, for me I find it easier than taking it to a shop. I do it when I want, no waiting, oil goes back into the jug and back to the autoparts store next time I'm there.
Plus no special ed flunkies working on my car.... I have seen them do all kinds of stupid crap....

I actually fitted one of those fumoto valves to make it easier to drain, it does work saves having to unscrew the drain plug which on these cars is a pain due to the lack of clearance.

How often/many miles do you change oil? Thx
You don't need to jack the car up. get about six small pieces of plywood approximately 24 inches square and about 3 /8 thick. Position them, three each in front of the front tires, staggered like steps. Push the bottom one against the tire on each side. Get in your bird start it up and put it in gear and slowly ride up on the plywood. Stop the car when on top, put it in park and set the emergency brake. I have been doing it that way for years.

I came across this YouTube video the other day. It actually shows our model Thunderbird having all the fluids changed. Hope this helps someone.

Also, it's a pain to properly dispose of oil and you don't really save that much money when the time/effort is taken into account. After you get to a certain age, it's just not worth the time effort it takes to properly recycle the oil, etc.
All true. My modern cars go to a local shop; my antiques' oil is changed by me (I have a lift) as some have the old oil filter canister system and those can be tricky if you aren't experienced... It also never hurts to have a shop you trust do such routine work so you become a regular customer, then, when you roll in with a "real" problem...they take care of you. My "guy" gives me a veteran's discount so oil changes are just too cheap to fiddle with in most cases.

On a lot of cars, driving the front onto ramps for an oil change won't let you drain all the old oil...

Back