1970 turn signals stop working when headlights are turned on. | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1970 turn signals stop working when headlights are turned on.

• Thread starter Thread starter Paul70bird
  • Start date Start date
P
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
My 1970 Bird's turn signals work great all day but when it got dark and I turned on the headlights (which work fine) they stopped working both front and rear turn signal. Where should I start to figure this out.
Thank you

This page contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

My 1970 Bird's turn signals work great all day but when it got dark and I turned on the headlights (which work fine) they stopped working both front and rear turn signal. Where should I start to figure this out.
Thank you
Does your T-Bird have the original green or red flasher can (marked 4-lamp sequential trigger)?
If so, it may have aged so that it needs more current to flash than when new.
The headlights draw enough additional current so that a weak charging system or battery cannot provide enough current.
The original alternator barely provides enough for the headlights, turn signals, ignition, heater/AC fan, and accessory requirements.

Try replacing the flasher can with a new electronic flasher, such as the D0WY-13350-AR.

Vic, thank you so much for the lead on finding a fix for this problem. I have ordered the flasher and will see if this solves the problem.
Paul Curry

Back