1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Click the "X" to the right to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Top 10 Ford Thunderbird Gift List! Click here.

Dismiss Notice

1966 Tbird Inner rear fender removal

Discussion in '1955 - 1966 Classic Ford Thunderbird' started by Mikey78, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Hi guys,

I was trying to remove the rear inner fender on the drive side to get a better view of the steering gear box area. Are there any bolts inside the engine area?

I had all but one removed inside the tire area but the bottom of the fender seemed very tight still. I didn't want to just pull on it. Is there a trick or something I'm missing? Thanks.

2. Hi Mike
    Im no expert but i recently took off the left front to run a new fuel line.
    They are very snug and may seem like glued on from under coating.
    Hope this helps

Mikey78 likes this.
  3. Ok thanks. I'll give it another try tomorrow. It was super tight mostly at the bottom where the fuel and brake line go up under it from the rocker panel area. Thanks.

4. May sound silly but take a picture of everything...just in case you dont put it back on right away

Mikey78 likes this.
  5. I do that sometimes or video . It is always good to have a back up memory so to speak.

6. BigClay

BigClay Well-Known Member Gold Donor

I was trying to remove the rear inner fender on the drive side to get a better view of the steering gear box area. Are there any bolts inside the engine area?

I had all but one removed inside the tire area but the bottom of the fender seemed very tight still. I didn't want to just pull on it. Is there a trick or something I'm missing? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

7. BigClay

BigClay Well-Known Member Gold Donor

Guys, if you are talking about the FRONT fenders, the “inner” fender/wheel well is part of the unibody structure and is WELDED in. You can’t remove them. Same with the rear wheel wells. ALL WELDED. MAJOR cutting and rewearing if removed.

Mikey78 likes this.
  8. Maybe I used the wrong word to describe what I'm removing. I was able to remove it by taking out the bolts. Inner wheel well is what I'm referring to hopefully I'm not using the wrong term.

9. Well there are two sections for the front inner wheel well. The rear section has two bolts near the top as well as back and lower section along with the rubber weatherstrip that is a tight fitting part but once removed you do have a small window to work with between the shock tower and the firewall because the shock tower is directly behind it and and covers a large area this is not a removable part.

Help us by sharing/liking this page!

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!