1966 Convertible window inoperable | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1966 Convertible window inoperable

• Thread starter Thread starter waymilky
  • Start date Start date
W
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Recently my drivers power window quit functioning. The motor runs and sounds normal, but the window does not move. The window can easily be raised or lowered by hand. I took the door panel off and took a look inside using mirrors. When the switch is used the motor runs, but the small gear attached to the large flat gear does not turn. When I raise or lower the window manually, both gears turn freely. I thought about trying to take the whole motor/regulator mechanism out, but thought I would seek advice from someone with experience. If I do need to take both the regulator and motor out, do I do that by disconnecting the regulators from all four rollers?
Looking in the Bird Nest catalogue I see they sell some sort of " gear repair kit." It looks like there are at least two bolts that attach the motor to the regulator. Are there more than two?

Any advice is appreciated.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If this like many other Fords of the 60s and 70s the motor has three small plastic cylinders about 7/16" and about 1/2" tall. these plastic cylinders are generally white plastic. I have seen failures many times. In some cars the motor is riveted to the inner panel before the inner panel and outer skin are replacing the motor requires drilling three holes to access the rivets. The location andpattern is usually shown in the shop manual. the replacement motor is then attached by bolts to replace the rivets. If the motor turns and nothing happens this may be your problem.
At any rate, good luck to you, J.

If this like many other Fords of the 60s and 70s the motor has three small plastic cylinders about 7/16" and about 1/2" tall. these plastic cylinders are generally white plastic. I have seen failures many times. In some cars the motor is riveted to the inner panel before the inner panel and outer skin are replacing the motor requires drilling three holes to access the rivets. The location andpattern is usually shown in the shop manual. the replacement motor is then attached by bolts to replace the rivets. If the motor turns and nothing happens this may be your problem.
At any rate, good luck to you, J.
Thanks for your help, but I think my setup is different. I see no white plastic cylinders. My motor is black and attached to the regulator with either two or three small bolts. The reason I can't tell you how many bolts is that I'm using mirrors up in the door to visualize it and there is one section I can't see. Anyway the attachment to the door is with 4 sturdy bolts and external tooth locking washers.

Thanks for your help, but I think my setup is different. I see no white plastic cylinders. My motor is black and attached to the regulator with either two or three small bolts. The reason I can't tell you how many bolts is that I'm using mirrors up in the door to visualize it and there is one section I can't see. Anyway the attachment to the door is with 4 sturdy bolts and external tooth locking washers.
You have to remove the motor and take it apart to see the cylinders if it is enclosed type motor.
keep on keepin on, J.

Back