1966 amp meter smoking

N8Clark
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello everyone! I'm new on the forums and come looking for some help. I was messing with the power window switches because only half of them worked so I pulled the whole plate up and got a spark which I would assume would be from metal to metal contact. Now here's where it gets interesting! When I turn the lights on they're very dim (headlights and dash/interior) and it starts smoking behind the amp meter. Also the amp meter goes all the way to dead when the key is turned on (I attached a video) any leads are greatly appreciated and thanks for taking your time to read!

-Nate

Attachments

• 20230415_220403.mp4
    17.5 MB

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You have a direct short to ground someplace. When you shorted out the wire it melted someplace and is bare wire against a metal ground, do not keep testing until you find and fix the bad wire, it is doing more damage everytime you turn it on. If you have a link to a '66 wiring diagram I may be able to point you to a likely spot.

I have one of these that works very well at tracking down shorts.

Last edited:
Keep a good fire extinguisher very close by until the electrical problem is 100% solved.
And definitely disconnect a main battery cable Every time you walk away from the car. Having an unscheduled Bird BBQ in your garage is not allowed!

Hello everyone! I'm new on the forums and come looking for some help. I was messing with the power window switches because only half of them worked so I pulled the whole plate up and got a spark which I would assume would be from metal to metal contact. Now here's where it gets interesting! When I turn the lights on they're very dim (headlights and dash/interior) and it starts smoking behind the amp meter. Also the amp meter goes all the way to dead when the key is turned on (I attached a video) any leads are greatly appreciated and thanks for taking your time to read!

-Nate
I'd say you've got a dead short..I also don't like amp meters. They burn cars down. That's why the factories switched to a voltmeter.

Back