1964 Thunderbird Coolant problems

After reading everthng I have had and still have a little. If you want to clean your cooling system get Permatex Heavy Duty Radiator cleaner. Over the 65 years I have used everything from Coke A cola up. This the best, you order it at O'riellys or on line. The other thing to keep in mind is when filing your cooling system set temp lever to high, turn on heater fan blower high. add coolant slow , watch temp to let thermostat to start opening then go fill slow. When feel heat coming from your heater finish filling. This keeps air locks from hapening. I had a garage change coolant and did not do that I had problems. If you live in a climate where it is warm like me you do not need a thermostate.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

One comment, you mentioned that the heater was bypassed. Rather than bypass the heater, plug off the heater. Why you ask? because bypassing the heater core allows hot engine coolant to bypass the radiator and go back to the engine without cooling. I have seen several older cars with the heater hose looped around and issues with running warm. Capping the heater lines solved the issues.

Back