1964 Thunderbird Coolant problems

Shadrack

Shadrack

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello all,

So, as I work on getting my car ready to go to inspection I have been working on the coolant system. It was nasty and full brown water. I took the tank off and washed it in and out. I also flushed each orifice in the engine bay about 15 minutes each. Running pretty clean now. I put a new thermostat in, added coolant and water and let it run and burp. About 8 minutes in it let out a huge burp and splashed all over the place. The water pump was hot to the touch, most of the engine was. I removed the tank and saw that thermostat looked a bit clogged. I took it out, remounted the tank, filled it with water and ran it for 20 minutes around the block, flushed it and did it a few more times. Now it has coolant back in it and a thermostat, spring part is inside the intake so hope the orientation is right.

Everything seems to flow, is there anything I should check on the cooling system? I heater core is bypassed so that takes that out of the issues. I used my thermal remote thermometer and took readings from all over the engine, 179 was the highest I saw. This is not a contact temp tool, this is the type with the laser that you point and see from a distance.

My questions are, what is normal operating temp and h9w much coolant do I need in this 390? How many gallons, quarts of the mixture?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hello all,

So, as I work on getting my car ready to go to inspection I have been working on the coolant system. It was nasty and full brown water. I took the tank off and washed it in and out. I also flushed each orifice in the engine bay about 15 minutes each. Running pretty clean now. I put a new thermostat in, added coolant and water and let it run and burp. About 8 minutes in it let out a huge burp and splashed all over the place. The water pump was hot to the touch, most of the engine was. I removed the tank and saw that thermostat looked a bit clogged. I took it out, remounted the tank, filled it with water and ran it for 20 minutes around the block, flushed it and did it a few more times. Now it has coolant back in it and a thermostat, spring part is inside the intake so hope the orientation is right.

Everything seems to flow, is there anything I should check on the cooling system? I heater core is bypassed so that takes that out of the issues. I used my thermal remote thermometer and took readings from all over the engine, 179 was the highest I saw. This is not a contact temp tool, this is the type with the laser that you point and see from a distance.

My questions are, what is normal operating temp and h9w much coolant do I need in this 390? How many gallons, quarts of the mixture?

Sounds like you got the thermostat in correctly. Leaving the cap off while filling it for a bit will expel any air. Sounds like you had an air bubble. Let the car cool down and take the cap off and let it sit a little bit make sure you’re not too full. Just up to the bottom of the tank liner. 180° is normal operating temperature. Can go to 200 but wouldn’t want much more than that. Your mixture should be about 50-50 coolant to water.

A couple of notes:

First, if you replaced the lower radiator hose, make sure you orient it as far away from the fan belt as you can. Hose sits too close, belt slices the hose in short order -- VERY common!

Second, once you fill the cooling system, expect an anti-freeze spill the first time you drive it very far. It means you've overfilled. After that first time, you should be good.

Sounds like you got the thermostat in correctly. Leaving the cap off while filling it for a bit will expel any air. Sounds like you had an air bubble. Let the car cool down and take the cap off and let it sit a little bit make sure you’re not too full. Just up to the bottom of the tank liner. 180° is normal operating temperature. Can go to 200 but wouldn’t want much more than that. Your mixture should be about 50-50 coolant to water.

Thank you! I used a little gasket dressing to hold the tstat in place while I mounted the tank up to the take to the intake. I think I had a big bubble as well, just seems that it was running hot in general. Fan is working and all that. I do have an aluminum radiator that I will throw in after inspection - maybe that will help a bit. I will keep an eye on my temp. My gauges do not seem to work - part of the project lol - think I will buy some aftermarket gauges for now.

A couple of notes:

First, if you replaced the lower radiator hose, make sure you orient it as far away from the fan belt as you can. Hose sits too close, belt slices the hose in short order -- VERY common!

Second, once you fill the cooling system, expect an anti-freeze spill the first time you drive it very far. It means you've overfilled. After that first time, you should be good.

I did not replace the hose, but it did get disconnected - I will check that out ASAP - THANKS! I have done other coolant systems before, but this seemed a little weird, I did do a TON of flushing so I imagine it did have a good deal of air in it - Thunderbird farts lol haha! I put the tstat in this morning and filled her up. I will start it tonight and let it burp a bit. I will report back!

What do you all think about aluminum radiators? I bought one from Jegs for the car, I know I will have to do some modifying to make it fit as they are advertised as a direct fit, but I read otherwise. Also, mine is kinda screwy, they have a little transcooler mounted to the front of my radiator. with the lines hacked into it. With this new radiator, I can eliminate that mess as well.

Thank you! I used a little gasket dressing to hold the tstat in place while I mounted the tank up to the take to the intake. I think I had a big bubble as well, just seems that it was running hot in general. Fan is working and all that. I do have an aluminum radiator that I will throw in after inspection - maybe that will help a bit. I will keep an eye on my temp. My gauges do not seem to work - part of the project lol - think I will buy some aftermarket gauges for now.

The gauges not working is probably the little gauge voltage regulator behind the dash. When you get ready I can tell you where it is and how to get it out. It could be just a loose ground from that gauge voltage regulator to your dash. They cost about $30 if yours is bad. Most likely just a loose ground and all your gauges will work. Your amp gauge is separate so it should work on its own

The gauges not working is probably the little gauge voltage regulator behind the dash. When you get ready I can tell you where it is and how to get it out. It could be just a loose ground from that gauge voltage regulator to your dash. They cost about $30 if yours is bad. Most likely just a loose ground and all your gauges will work. Your amp gauge is separate so it should work on its own
I have four Thunderbirds and I have had to either change those little voltage regulators behind the dash or put a tighter ground from it to the dash on all of them. Common problem.

I have four Thunderbirds and I have had to either change those little voltage regulators behind the dash or put a tighter ground from it to the dash on all of them. Common problem.

Here is my latest restoration. A 66 T Bird convertible diamond blue with a white pearl interior. Beautiful car just finished the engine and detail. Ready to put the hood back on.

Attachments

• D2C1EFD1-2B23-4174-A1D7-B395C3B39A6A.jpeg
    D2C1EFD1-2B23-4174-A1D7-B395C3B39A6A.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1

@Rom324 Oh wow, that would be awesome! I think I MAY have one of these, when I was on a relay buying frenzy I may have bought one. If it is not too much trouble could you explain how to get to it and replace it? Also, the part name/number just in case what I "think, I have is wrong. That would be so cool.

Here is my latest restoration. A 66 T Bird convertible diamond blue with a white pearl interior. Beautiful car just finished the engine and detail. Ready to put the hood back on.

@Rom324 Oh wow, that is BEAUTIFUL! I would love to paint mine white when the time comes. That looks soooo good! Also you have 4 of these things? That is awesome - any pictures of the others?

Now I'm doing the opposite of what you are going to do. I am putting in a separate automatic transmission cooler in front of the radiator.

Its probably best that way. I just do not like the way this one is set up, it looks bad and I unsure how well it performs. Was getting funny readings from my thermal gun. It looks old and not maintained.

Once the car is back from inspection I will probably put it up on jack stands, suck the transmission fluid out, drop the pan and change the filter before installing the new radiator.

1BCA1E40-7815-4222-89A8-D888370F559A.jpeg CAB93FA4-EA5F-4285-B209-2D709B4B933B.jpeg 056F9581-6C0E-4B2E-9811-7329EB4EDA17.jpeg 9015C219-5CAB-4B22-AF51-7C5595A7E3CE.jpeg C4130C13-1269-4429-BCC9-899A06CE13F4.jpeg 4E637477-FFC8-4BC9-9B70-6EF1F3426F7E.jpeg DB804F44-C604-4DBD-90A7-8C8A07AA2B49.jpeg 9BE40531-D254-4B67-9994-E32BE006CC1B.jpeg 3089F1FB-805B-4D70-86BD-7CAB893B56F2.jpeg CAB93FA4-EA5F-4285-B209-2D709B4B933B.jpeg 056F9581-6C0E-4B2E-9811-7329EB4EDA17.jpeg 9015C219-5CAB-4B22-AF51-7C5595A7E3CE.jpeg C4130C13-1269-4429-BCC9-899A06CE13F4.jpeg 4E637477-FFC8-4BC9-9B70-6EF1F3426F7E.jpeg DB804F44-C604-4DBD-90A7-8C8A07AA2B49.jpeg 9BE40531-D254-4B67-9994-E32BE006CC1B.jpeg 3089F1FB-805B-4D70-86BD-7CAB893B56F2.jpeg
Its probably best that way. I just do not like the way this one is set up, it looks bad and I unsure how well it performs. Was getting funny readings from my thermal gun. It looks old and not maintained.

Once the car is back from inspection I will probably put it up on jack stands, suck the transmission fluid out, drop the pan and change the filter before installing the new radiator.

Here are some pictures of my other birds.

@Rom324 I just ran out to the garage, and sure enough I have one! This is what I have:
https://www.larrystbird.com/product/instrument-voltage-regulator-6066/

If this looks correct, I would love to tap your experience on replacing this/troubleshooting ground. Thanks!

Yes that’s the voltage regulator you need. Start by taking your safety convenience panel out in the center of your dash. That’s where your windshield wiper and fresh air vents are. When you drop the panel you’ll have to disconnect a few things and the voltage regulator would be to the left behind the speedometer. Make sure it’s not floating around because that will cause the gauges not to work. You’ll need to make sure it’s grounded tightly to the back of the instrument panel. If that doesn’t work then take it out and put your new one in and that should solve the problem.

Yes that’s the voltage regulator you need. Start by taking your safety convenience panel out in the center of your dash. That’s where your windshield wiper and fresh air vents are. When you drop the panel you’ll have to disconnect a few things and the voltage regulator would be to the left behind the speedometer. Make sure it’s not floating around because that will cause the gauges not to work. You’ll need to make sure it’s grounded tightly to the back of the instrument panel. If that doesn’t work then take it out and put your new one in and that should solve the problem.

Awesome! As soon as I get her past inspection I'll do it! Thanks so much!

WOW!! Room 324, they are Beautiful. The one torquose convertible has the same style of interior I am trying to accomplish. Where did you get that dash pad at? What type of paint was used for the white? You have Fantastic cars that inspire me to do a better job in my 64 T-Bird. Thanks DJ-Dan (Forest Hill, Md.)

Hello all,

I think I'm my original owners manual. Brow or pics for! My original owners manual for My 64 bird

Attachments

• IMG_20200419_004832_hdr_kindlephoto-14267025.jpg
    IMG_20200419_004832_hdr_kindlephoto-14267025.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20200419_004852_hdr_kindlephoto-14244676.jpg
    IMG_20200419_004852_hdr_kindlephoto-14244676.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20200419_004902_hdr_kindlephoto-14193375.jpg
    IMG_20200419_004902_hdr_kindlephoto-14193375.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 1
Back