1964 Header Bolt busted | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1964 Header Bolt busted

• Thread starter Thread starter Guecubu
  • Start date Start date
Guecubu
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Evening all. So I'm trying to bring my new toy.. well old toy back to life but the biggest hurdle i have to jump is a busted header bolt in the block on the first bolt on the driver side of the car. I know that its at a crappy angle to get at it with a tap kit but i wanted to know what my options are if anyone had to do this. Can I set the motor on a jack remove a motor mount and try to lift it up a few inches to get an angle I can work with? Sorry my images aren't the best I took them in dark for the post. if anyone wants better ill get some but i figured those who have dealt with the problem wouldn't need images to remember the pain...

Attachments

• 20240730_225051.jpg
    20240730_225051.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
  • 20240730_225108.jpg
    20240730_225108.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 19
  • 20240730_224913.jpg
    20240730_224913.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Not a fun job. In my experience if you want to do this correctly it's time to pull the head. After you get the broken bolt out you can take the head and manifold to your local machine shop and get the both surfaced. This is the only design flaw in the F/E series engines, the exhaust face of the head warps. While you're at it,do the other side too.

Back