1957 Dashboard Cockpit Temperature Lever

knuckle47

knuckle47

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
My shop manual and diagrams manual have images of this setup but they look like 10th generation copies and show little detail. The temp control lever came off in my hand so it’s not attached to its pivot point or the control cable. If this is a major job, I’ll put it off for a while but , if it’s a 1 day fix, I’m in. Has anyone dealt with this before and can shed some light on the repair.
When I was younger… made no difference, these days, I really need the right motivation and pain relievers. Just trying to prepare in advance and not get so deep into it, I’m pulling 1/2 of the dash board off

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

If the temperature control lever came off in your hand and it is not attached to the pivot point, you will have to remove the heater control before making any repairs.

Attached are what the upper and lower control levers look like.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

19681_51c39be55dd9be12b14437f9ca80f551 (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I haven't experienced it, I've read that it's quite common for the heater control levers to break. It's recommended that they be replaced whenever working under the dash, but I can't speak for the quality of reproduction controls. I'm 5' 8"/155 lbs. Before removing the seat, steering column, and glove box, I had to lie on the floor/w legs draped over the seat back to get under the dash. Hopefully, your sense of touch is better than mine.

Removing the seat is the easy part
putting back in requires a few more f-bombs
that being said it will make removing the temp control panel out much easier
You won’t need to do any more RTD of the dash

Considering what's involved in removing the power seat, like removing the hardtop, I plan to reattach the seat back after the base/w motors is in place. Hopefully, being lighter and less awkward, it will be easier to work with.

Although I haven't experienced it, I've read that it's quite common for the heater control levers to break. It's recommended that they be replaced whenever working under the dash, but I can't speak for the quality of reproduction controls. I'm 5' 8"/155 lbs. Before removing the seat, steering column, and glove box, I had to lie on the floor/w legs draped over the seat back to get under the dash. Hopefully, your sense of touch is better than mine.
I'm smaller than you so I don't remove the seat or anything else But laying on my back with my feet over the seat back is my method also. Casco has the repair kits and have a great reputation for quality parts and support. And yes after years of tinkering I can thread screws and bolts blind and from the back.

@doug7740 those photos speak volumes to me. Thank you for the detail. Based on the other comments I have a new thought..
FOR SALE: ;) Looks like I have my work cut out for me.

On the other hand...IS there a good place to just grab the cable somewhere by hand and open or close the heat until spring?

I have not the chance to look under there but yes you should be able to find the end of the cable and attach a set of small locking pliers. if it is for the temperature adjustment and not the vent controls, you could just pull the vacuum line off the valve and plug the hose to turn off the heat. The above should work for the vent controls as that is a cable system while the temp control is not.

@doug7740 those photos speak volumes to me. Thank you for the detail. Based on the other comments I have a new thought..
FOR SALE: ;) Looks like I have my work cut out for me.

On the other hand...IS there a good place to just grab the cable somewhere by hand and open or close the heat until spring?
The upper cable with the red band controls the vacuum valve in the heater chamber which controls the temperature. The cable with the blue band controls the defroster, and the cable with the yellow band controls the right fresh air vent.

See attached

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
19685_ec19e55fe1c752fd603ec661e6387b8a (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
View attachment 19922
@doug7740
Thanks for posting! I've converted this to a website friendly format. PDF files are not website friendly.

There are easy ways to convert PDF files to JPG image format. I use an app called Camscanner.

Images should be JPG files, not PDFs.

Last edited:
Back