1964 Brakes not working, firm pedal | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1964 Brakes not working, firm pedal

• Thread starter Thread starter Guecubu
  • Start date Start date
Guecubu
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
He got the car and sat on it and told me that the previous owner put new brakes in but according to him they didn't work when he was driving it (luckily avoided a bad accident) He is saying the brake pedal itself is firm and he's not getting much in terms of stopping power. Physically I pickup the car this weekend so I haven't been able to inspect them myself yet but I'm hoping to hit the ground running on trying to repair the problem and am hoping someone here might have an idea where I should start. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

First thoughts, check and make sure the brake booster is hooked up. If it is and the car runs rough you may have a booster internally leaking vacuum. Get the car up where you can get under it and look at the rubber brake lines. If they're old they could be an issue. They deteriorate from the inside out. Post pictures when you get it home!

He got the car and sat on it and told me that the previous owner put new brakes in but according to him they didn't work when he was driving it (luckily avoided a bad accident) He is saying the brake pedal itself is firm and he's not getting much in terms of stopping power. Physically I pickup the car this weekend so I haven't been able to inspect them myself yet but I'm hoping to hit the ground running on trying to repair the problem and am hoping someone here might have an idea where I should start. Any thoughts?
I once had the same problem with my ‘64. New brakes/hard pedal/no stopping power. Cause: the plastic fitting on the Vacuum line at the Brake Booster has a “dual inlet”.
One of the inlets is supposed to have a “cap” on it. Mine was missing. Replaced it. Problem solved!

I once had the same problem with my ‘64. New brakes/hard pedal/no stopping power. Cause: the plastic fitting on the Vacuum line at the Brake Booster has a “dual inlet”.
One of the inlets is supposed to have a “cap” on it. Mine was missing. Replaced it. Problem solved!
Thank you I'll definitely check that out when I see it Saturday

Some simple checks for the booster: First, make sure the one way vacuum valve is truly ONE-WAY, you can check that using your mouth on the hose, Second, with the car running shut it off and pump the brakes several times, you should still get a few boosted brake pumps via the reserve, the, Third, immediately after the second test put your foot on the brake and press while starting the car, the brake pedal should drop one inch (apporx) as the boost kicks in. Any of those fail you have a booster problem.

Finally, I've seen a lot of inexperienced people reassemble drum brakes incorrectly. Put leading/trailing shoes on wrong, replace springs improperly, jam up the self adjusters Or put them on the wrong side there are LEFT and RIGHT specific sets.

Last edited:
Good advice from all before me. Got my '63 with the same story from previous owner. I had the same problem back in the 60s and turned out to be a bad vacuum line from the intake to the booster. Another time it was the booster. In my current case it was a combination of problems i.e. booster, wheel brake cylinders and vacuum canister. In the end I converted the front to disc brakes with a new booster and dual master cylinder. Problem solved and much better braking for the Old Girl.

Back