1963 Convertible Top Stuck up

B

Birdflyer

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
HELP! My convertible has the Roadster insert in place with the top up and it won't come down, not even a clicking noise. Are there any relays
under the passenger side dash or hood that I might troubleshoot? I normally could have popped the back seat out to get to the relays in the truck,
but the roadster insert is in the way....and no way to remove it with the top up. Can I SLOWLY pull the top up manually (against the hydraulic pressure) enough
to get the to roadster insert bolts???? And before anyone jumps in with "use the search function"....I did and it was no help....so keep your snide comments please.

HELP! My convertible has the Roadster insert in place with the top up and it won't come down, not even a clicking noise. Are there any relays
under the passenger side dash or hood that I might troubleshoot? I normally could have popped the back seat out to get to the relays in the truck,
but the roadster insert is in the way....and no way to remove it with the top up. Can I SLOWLY pull the top up manually (against the hydraulic pressure) enough
to get the to roadster insert bolts???? And before anyone jumps in with "use the search function"....I did and it was no help....so keep your snide comments please.
Have you reset the main relay that is located beside the radiator on the passenger side of the engine bay.
Most likely that will fix the issue

Last edited:
Obviously you need the one for your car, look at the sellers other items-

okie dokie thank you & will do. Looking like I'll need a new truck lid as well as it's appearing the only way into it to change the WORST POSITIONED RELAYS IN THE HISTORY OF ENGINEERING will be with a SawZall.

don't do that. Read the shop manual. It will tell you what to unfasten, unbolt or "jump" to gain access. If you don't hear the trunk latch screws turning, there are retaining bolts above the rear tires in the wheel arches that can be removed to unlatch the trunk lid. After that look in the shop manual as I don't recall where to release the rams.

Hi everyone, my 63 convertible has been in the family for 25 years and was recently passed down to me 4 years ago. The top has worked very well each year until I took it out of storage this summer. Many years ago the original door switch for the top was abandoned and it was replaced with a DPDT momentary switch. One direction locks/unlocks the jack screws and the other direction runs the top. This year the screws unlocked the deck fine, next the deck raised and stopped there. no tray movement and no matter what I do the deck solenoid and pump energize and continue to push the deck open (even though its fully open) as though the right deck open limit switch was failing. I read through both the original troubleshooting guide and the revised version published in 2008 which were very helpful to understand the operation. Continuity tests on all switches showed good, both 15 amp breakers on the deck are good, pump fluid level is good and clean,12.72v on the battery. I am able to jump the relays to open/close the tray and retract/erect the top as well as open/close the deck lid and all functions run smoothly. I disconnected all 8 of the connectors to the relays but the pump and deck solenoid still push on the deck. The screws are unaffected and will run if I push the switch in that direction. My intension is to eventually replace the relays with the new version I am seeing on the forum but I'm not sure it would cure this issue. I enjoy working on my dads old T-bird but at this point its time to ask the experts. I am hoping someone has seen this before. help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I had the same problem- I insulated the seats with a thick blanket, pushed them forward and released the center hold down. Unscrewed the rear hold downs. With help, I was able to move my "Roadster insert" forward enough to get to the rear seat. The problem, probably, lies in the adjustment of the switches and that can be a BEAR!

Hi... saw this older post of the issue on the top being stuck... I just got a 63 Roadster and have the same issue too! Was wondering how u made the fix on your bird... Thanks! -paul.

Hi... saw this older post of the issue on the top being stuck... I just got a 63 Roadster and have the same issue too! Was wondering how u made the fix on your bird... Thanks! -paul.

Every year I have had issues to chase, I finally installed the relay system and have been very happy with it. Keep in mind that in addition to the relay system you may have still have issues with limit switches and the back panel switch. The relay system with an override button on each relay is very helpful if you are having other issues and there is an override button on a cable that will do the unlock and deck open steps. I located that button right next to the drivers seat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back