1962 Best Starter Replacement

F
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello
My starter broke, the bendix gear split in half.
When I removed it I found it was not the correct starter for my car.
My car is a 1962 and should have a starter motor with a long shaft and a loose bendix.
The one on my car had a bendix controlled with a lever, with I believe is for a newer model, maybe for 1965-1968.
My question is should I buy a starter for a 62 or a 65 model?
If I understand it correctly the older style starter engage the flywheel from the back and the newer from the front.
Can i be that the flywheel is damage and the old owner has put in a newer style starter to fix that problem?
The older style starter is also more than double the prize, plus I don't know where I can buy the bendix, my local shop do not have it in stock (it is not included with the starter)

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

You need to count the teeth on the ring gear to determine which starter you need.

Hello
My car is a 1962 and should have a starter motor with a long shaft and a loose bendix.
The one on my car had a bendix controlled with a lever, with I believe is for a newer model, maybe for 1965-1968.
If I understand it correctly the older style starter engage the flywheel from the back and the newer from the front.
Can i be that the flywheel is damage and the old owner has put in a newer style starter to fix that problem?
The older style starter is also more than double the prize, plus I don't know where I can buy the bendix, my local shop do not have it in stock (it is not included with the starter)
The correct starter to use is the 62 model. Many owners (and even some so-called mechanics) will 'upgrade' to a later model starter because it's readily available and cheaper, but it's wrong and will eventually cause a lot of damage. The newer version, although it is a bolt-in and will seem to work (albeit very noisily) will not mesh correctly with your flywheel (different tooth count/pattern) and eventually damage the ring gear, requiring replacement, which means you would have to remove the transmission and flywheel. Not fun.

Use the correct starter.

Alternatively, a couple of vendors are now providing modified late-model-design starters that have the correct tooth pattern and work very well.
I replaced the one in my 62 Bird with one from RobbMc Performance Products

Ford Y-Block/Early FE Gen II Mini-Starter Item# 3026

Good luck!

At this point the car is 61 years old. Without counting the teeth you have no way of knowing what a previous owner has done to the car.
When I purchased my '61 in the '80s it had already been updated to the newer flexplate and starter.

Okay thank you for the answers.
I will try to count the teeths on the flywheel then.
How many should a 1962 flywheel have?
What is the difference between an older and a newer?
Is the tooth profile different or is there a difference in overall size?

153 teeth on the early reverse engage starter.
184 on the '65 and later nosecone engage starter.

Hello
Have you contacted any of the thunderbird parts specialty suppliers?. I have found a bendix I needed.

Back