1959 upgrade recommendations | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1959 upgrade recommendations

• Thread starter Thread starter analogue_dsp
  • Start date Start date
analogue_dsp

analogue_dsp

Click here to upgrade
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I'm picking up a '59 squarebird tomorrow. Car is in perfect shape as far as i can tell. 80K miles (352V8 convertible, single solenoid looks like). I'm a project guy and already my head is spinning with ideas. Of course I'll be saving the original stuff very carefully, and you all will likely think I'm an idiot but there is much I want to change. I'll do the radio I'm sure first. I need my tunes and they have to sound good. But after thinking about it there is just so much to do. I'd love to get input on what you all think should be left alone, what should be upgraded, whether it be for convenience/enjoyment, or for safety, or for resale value. I'd even like to hear about non-upgrade projects - or stuff to look for that should be done if it wasn't previously. These are some of the things that have been rattling around in no particular order:
1. upgrade to disc brakes (just front? or do rears too?)
2. sorry, but i don't like the wire rims or whitewalls. new wheels could be amazing, especially with some nice painted disc calipers behind them. but what is appropriate for this car and not tacky?
3. oh no this thing is still running a generator? i should likely replace any voltage regulators since they've come a long way, right? should i just upgrade immediately to an alternator and 12V?
4. need AC eventually
5. do they have air ride upgrade kits?
6. should i get an engine compression test?
7. upgrade to power steering?
8. suspension upgrade (new coils/shocks maybe?)

lol oh man i think i've found something new to obsess about.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I'm picking up a '59 squarebird tomorrow. Car is in perfect shape as far as i can tell. 80K miles (352V8 convertible, single solenoid looks like). I'm a project guy and already my head is spinning with ideas. Of course I'll be saving the original stuff very carefully, and you all will likely think I'm an idiot but there is much I want to change. I'll do the radio I'm sure first. I need my tunes and they have to sound good. But after thinking about it there is just so much to do. I'd love to get input on what you all think should be left alone, what should be upgraded, whether it be for convenience/enjoyment, or for safety, or for resale value. I'd even like to hear about non-upgrade projects - or stuff to look for that should be done if it wasn't previously. These are some of the things that have been rattling around in no particular order:
2. sorry, but i don't like the wire rims or whitewalls. new wheels could be amazing, especially with some nice painted disc calipers behind them. but what is appropriate for this car and not tacky?
3. oh no this thing is still running a generator? i should likely replace any voltage regulators since they've come a long way, right? should i just upgrade immediately to an alternator and 12V?
4. need AC eventually

Think safety first. Disk brakes are a must. Anti sway bar in the rear if available too. 80K is a lot for a car of that age. Radio, absolutely. Way too many choices. Take your time. You can do compression test yourself. Get a tester, it is nothing more than a gauge with a tapered rubber seal. Pull the plugs and have someone turn it over while you hold the gauge in the plug port. The one that fails is the one that is opposite the rotation of the crank and either in the front or the rear depending upon the rotation. ( I have a 55 292 w/quad and 35K miles orig. still good). I got my mag wheels from Wheels for Less. Landed in with Cooper tires, mounted, balanced and lug nuts to boot for <1200 and they're like black spike heels on a pie thighed blonde. Suspension should be checked. Find a old wrench head geezer like me from the 60's and he will be the judge. I would also check the fuel system. Stainless gas tanks are cheep, lines too. I replaced front coils, (professional job). Rear leafers could be re-arced or replaced ~ 200-300 each + labor replaced. If you are doing all of that under body stuff, shocks are cheap. All rubber items, bushings etc. need to be R&R'd too. You can do the wheel bearings in the front pretty easily but learn how to pack them with grease. The machine tools that made bearings in the old days can't spec to the new stuff. Back to the wheels, get some white letters. Resto-Mod is the way to go. Also, you may want to check the wires for cracked insulation, especially under the hood. You don't want to burn down the car while it is in your garage.

4. need AC eventually

Well obviously you are going resto mod. It's now your car and your money. They were built well originally. Fluids first before anything else. Coolant, engine oil, trans fluid, brake lines and fuel systems. With that few miles it's obviously sat a lot. Cars don't take kindly to sitting still. If there is crud in the fuel system you could do expensive damage to all the components and the engine itself.
Make it mechanically sound and drive it a bit and then worry about the upgrades later after you get a feel for it. New radio, There are plenty of aftermarket look alikes with A/M -F/M blue tooth and all the bells and whistles or go Rad if you please, but get to know the car first before you start switching out all kinds of stuff. Don't worry about the voltage regulator if it's working, they last a long time until you decide to go to an alternator.

My recommendation is to drive out and sort it out over the summer. Create a list of what you would like to change street that. Once you open the resto mod door, the sky’s the limit.
Generally, front discs are sufficient if installed properly. Suspension upgrades with bilstein shocks and perhaps anti sway bars improve cornering. Jamco.has good stuff.
Electronic ignition such as pentronix is good if you need to replace your points. Inspection of the wiring harness is critical and if you need to replace the loom, then do do. It is involved.
Tunes are important and vintage radio makes Bluetooth original looking replacements that can be streamed off your phone. Plenty of places to hide speakers.
If you really get involved, you’ll want to remove interior and place sound proofing liners.
Exhaust system tuning is also a good upgrade.
You can save weight by replacing intake manifold and heads if you like. Y blocks forever is a good site. John Mummert knows his way around
Cold air is good for after market ac
My two cents

Thanks for all the great input! I really appreciate it. The "chill out" and wait from several people is good advice. I've didn't think about the gas tank, although I do believe it is new, or has been cleaned out...i will validate that when i pick it up.

As has been said, wait a little a get to know the car that it is. You may be surprised at how good it really is. If you choose modifications that's great. Just make ones that A) make you happy B) actually improve the car (at least by YOUR standards). We all have different opinions about cars but yours is really the only one that matters when it comes to your car. So let's see some pictures!

As has been said, wait a little a get to know the car that it is. You may be surprised at how good it really is. If you choose modifications that's great. Just make ones that A) make you happy B) actually improve the car (at least by YOUR standards). We all have different opinions about cars but yours is really the only one that matters when it comes to your car. So let's see some pictures!
Here are some pics. After driving it a bit more and going through all the service records have some stuff I'm a little concerned with.

Safety stuff:
Think I'll for sure want the disc brakes, for safety if no other reason. Takes forever to stop 3500 lbs.
Keeping up with traffic on the freeway at 70mph did not feel all that safe, ppl would pull in front of me and if they stopped short there would be no way i could.
The steering is like a boat. Way too loose it seems, that doesn't feel all that safe either. I probably look like a drunk driver trying to keep it straight, although it just pulls a tiny bit to the left.
Wind noise on the freeway was brutal with the top up. Seals all look new, but there are lots of gaps. This didn't help passengers to feel safe either.

Drivetrain:
Engine compression seems low at last test (from service records) and mentions "blow by" which I've never heard. In order 1-8: I see 135 140 105 130 125 135 115 115. This was done by a seasoned pro.
Seems to stall as soon as I switch from park in to reverse/drive or vice versa a lot. Not sure what is up with that. Not sure how accurate the fuel gauge is. I thought maybe the stall was being out of gas at first. We'll see I guess.
Saw some puffs of smoke coming out between trans and engine - hoping that was spilt oil or something. AHH forgot pic of engine. Next time. Engine looks great with chrome package, but drivetrain has me a bit worried.

Attachments

• IMG_0120.JPG
    IMG_0120.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0122.JPG
    IMG_0122.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0123.JPG
    IMG_0123.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0124.JPG
    IMG_0124.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0125.JPG
    IMG_0125.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0126.JPG
    IMG_0126.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0129.JPG
    IMG_0129.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0130.JPG
    IMG_0130.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0131.JPG
    IMG_0131.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0132.JPG
    IMG_0132.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Think safety first. Disk brakes are a must. Anti sway bar in the rear if available too. 80K is a lot for a car of that age. Radio, absolutely. Way too many choices. Take your time. You can do compression test yourself. Get a tester, it is nothing more than a gauge with a tapered rubber seal. Pull the plugs and have someone turn it over while you hold the gauge in the plug port. The one that fails is the one that is opposite the rotation of the crank and either in the front or the rear depending upon the rotation. ( I have a 55 292 w/quad and 35K miles orig. still good). I got my mag wheels from Wheels for Less. Landed in with Cooper tires, mounted, balanced and lug nuts to boot for <1200 and they're like black spike heels on a pie thighed blonde. Suspension should be checked. Find a old wrench head geezer like me from the 60's and he will be the judge. I would also check the fuel system. Stainless gas tanks are cheep, lines too. I replaced front coils, (professional job). Rear leafers could be re-arced or replaced ~ 200-300 each + labor replaced. If you are doing all of that under body stuff, shocks are cheap. All rubber items, bushings etc. need to be R&R'd too. You can do the wheel bearings in the front pretty easily but learn how to pack them with grease. The machine tools that made bearings in the old days can't spec to the new stuff. Back to the wheels, get some white letters. Resto-Mod is the way to go. Also, you may want to check the wires for cracked insulation, especially under the hood. You don't want to burn down the car while it is in your garage.
Pie thighed blonde is good. I'm going to have to remember that one. If you don't mind me asking, what size rims/tires were you able to install? i notice the stock shoes are skinny like bicycle tires. I'm thinking clearance is something to be checked and double checked before replacing rims/wheels.

First things first, take it to an alignment shop and get the front end checked. Remember this is a 60+ year old car that does not drive or feel like a modern car. New shocks may help. If those brakes are adjusted properly with a good working booster they will stop that pretty fast.
(I was young dumb and drove a '61 like a maniac for a time) Tires can make a huge difference in handling, how old are they?
The "smoke" you saw coming from between the engine and transmission is blowby coming from the road vent.
Your compression does appear low on several cylinders. You can still enjoy it for a while as you plan for a rebuild. What is your idle speed? It may be a little low causing the stalling issue.

I like Radar's and Harleys suggestions. I have the same car as yours and is a roller now. Been on the fence about going computer motor or 390 with some mods to it. So I have come to realize I want to keep it more stock with some personal likes with driveability and saftey in mind. Brake system is a must as well as improvement to steering and suspension. A 6 speed trans will be looked into also. I will do a complete new wireing thruout. My car was bought by my dad when it was 6 months old and never left the family so for me it is not a canidate to really modify it and make it something it isnt. I look at the stock restored cars done well and they are really nice so leaning that direction. I do like speed and HP and hot rods but the tbird isnt the right car for that. I dont really like the interiors of these cars so will be making some suttle improvements to that and changing the color from black and white to a shade of like burnt red. I think Audi or mercedes has a nice color like that. A. so well see how it playes out. Please keep us posted with your build

Back