1957 Thunderbird Power Steer Control Valve and Ball Stud Adjustment | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1957 Thunderbird Power Steer Control Valve and Ball Stud Adjustment

• Thread starter Thread starter Bruce Taylor
  • Start date Start date
Bruce Taylor

Bruce Taylor

Click here to upgrade
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
My power steer control valve was leaking and the ball stud had signs of movement so I removed it from my car to overhaul. I fitted a new ball stud and the seals in the control valve. When I installed everything back to how it was prior I couldn't fit the end cap as the threaded stud was sticking out too far. Have I not screwed the ball stud housing on far enough even though it is the same position prior. Or is the threaded stud not screwed in far enough?
When I assembled it without the end cap it pulled to the left with the engine running and the front raised. I think this adjustment would be altered at the spring loaded stud.
I would really appreciate any help with this issue.
First photo shows how far on the housing was screwed on prior to dismantling.
Third photo shows the spring loaded stud prior to dismantling.
IMG_0390.jpgIMG_0391.jpgIMG_0393.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi Bruce, I’ve recently overhauled my ‘57 valve as well. To my knowledge the control valve stud adjustment is only for pre-load. I am wondering if you might have re-assembled the valve components in the incorrect order or direction. Do you have a good image of the exploded view? If not, I can send you one.

Thanks for these two responses. I do not have a good image of the exploded view. I bought a seal kit from the US and one of the new seals was quite narrow compared to what was removed so I bought another the same size from a local shop. I will take a photo tonight of how I assembled it.

See attached image. Also, note that the 2 seals for the spool valve should be the same size.

D44A8896-0FBE-4211-B846-F88C19A11AD6.jpeg

Thanks for the exploded view. Does anyone know if there is a particular adjustment for part number 3C560. Or do you just screw it in as far as it will go.

The two seals are not the same size. Referring to the attached picture, the control valve is disassembled by removing the sleeve and the large washer (left in the picture) and pushing the valve out of the control valve housing. Lay the pieces in the order removed. The large end of the valve, the large seal and the seal backup ring are on the right in the attached picture.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Control Valve Seals.jpg

Thanks for that Doug. My control valve is in that order. I am wondering whether I have an issue with my ball stud. The measurement that was given is acheived but being spring loaded this dimension of 9.5 inches changes.
First photo shows the spring and retainers removed.
Second photo is with the control valve removed.
Third photo in this position I can move the stud in and out almost as if there is something missing or there is an incorrect adjustment. In fact I cannot even get the end cap to fit on.
IMG_2918.jpgIMG_2919.jpgIMG_2923.jpg

@Bruce Taylor you can insert the photos into your post after attaching. I did this for you using this method-

Last edited:
Back