1956 power steering control valve tightening

woodeye

woodeye

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
I've finished rebuilding my control valve and about to reinstall it. I seem to remember reading that you should leave about 5 exposed threads on the drag link when you thread the valve onto it. I took pictures but the stuff was so greasy it's very hard to make out the exposed threads.
Thanks Jeff

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Not sure about the 5 thread deal but here's what I do know from the Ford manual. On t-birds it should be 9 1/2 inches from the center of the steering arm ball stud to the center of the left-hand spindle connecting rod ball stud. This dimension will keep the steering gear on the high point when driving in the straight ahead position.

I've finished rebuilding my control valve and about to reinstall it. I seem to remember reading that you should leave about 5 exposed threads on the drag link when you thread the valve onto it. I took pictures but the stuff was so greasy it's very hard to make out the exposed threads.
Thanks Jeff
When you post to the forums your subject should be a brief summary of your post "1956 power steering control valve" could mean just about anything. I updated your subject.

model-year-TBF.jpg

Not sure about the 5 thread deal but here's what I do know from the Ford manual. On t-birds it should be 9 1/2 inches from the center of the steering arm ball stud to the center of the left-hand spindle connecting rod ball stud. This dimension will keep the steering gear on the high point when driving in the straight ahead position.
Control Valve.jpg
doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

They corrected it in the 1956 Manal, The 1955 has the wrong specification for that distance and you will wind up with the steering wheel 90 degrees off. They corrected it in a service bulletin but if you don't have those, You will be out of luck!

They corrected it in the 1956 Manal, The 1955 has the wrong specification for that distance and you will wind up with the steering wheel 90 degrees off. They corrected it in a service bulletin but if you don't have those, You will be out of luck!
On page 310, figure 34 of the 1955 Thunderbird service manual it shows the distance specification as 9 inches which is incorrect. That's why I stated that the correct distance was 9.5 inches.

When I rebuilt my power steering control valve two years ago I threaded it as it shows in photo 23. My steering wheel was centered and the power steering operated as designed.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Service Circular 1061.jpg

Figure 34.jpg

Back