1957 right turn signal on when parking lights are on | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1957 right turn signal on when parking lights are on

• Thread starter Thread starter TbirdFan76
  • Start date Start date
TbirdFan76
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Is it normal for the right turn signal indicator on the dash to come on solid when just the parking lights are on? Another odd symptom in this scenario is the right turn signal will not flash. With the headlights on the right turn signal functions correctly. With the lights completely off it also functions correctly. One time while driving with the headlights on the right turn signal dash indicator randomly turned came on solid and did not function as turn signal. Does this indicate an external bulb problem on the right?

Also, regarding interior lighting, is it normal that the automatic transmission only lights when in neutral?

This page contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Is it normal for the right turn signal indicator on the dash to come on solid when just the parking lights are on?
Ask yourself if you think the car did this when it was brand new.

Ask yourself if you think the car did this when it was brand new.
@biddie I did and my first thought was "maybe this is supposed to happen to tell me only the parking lights are on". But then I thought the turn signal should work no matter what.

But, the shift indicator only lighting in neutral could be as designed.

I don't have an Owners manual but I have the 57 Ford car and Thunderbird manual. I don't think it would cover these types of odd questions.

So what do you think? Am I right? 🤔

I feel safe to say it's not how it should be and I think your instinct that it might be the bulb is a good thing to check first. The filaments could have sagged and be shorting together intermittently. Buy a new bulb and replace it and see if that fixes it. Probably the easiest thing to check too.

Is it normal for the right turn signal indicator on the dash to come on solid when just the parking lights are on? Another odd symptom in this scenario is the right turn signal will not flash. With the headlights on the right turn signal functions correctly. With the lights completely off it also functions correctly. One time while driving with the headlights on the right turn signal dash indicator randomly turned came on solid and did not function as turn signal. Does this indicate an external bulb problem on the right?

Also, regarding interior lighting, is it normal that the automatic transmission only lights when in neutral?
To answer your questions:
No
Maybe
No

We chased a bit of an issue with the headlights on my 56 when I first got it. Low beam, both on; high beam, only one side. Turned out be one of the bulbs had an internal short. Replaced both, solved.

Get a wiring diagram and start tracing circuits. Check continuity and grounds. Inspect wiring harness for shorts to ground, chafing, etc. Be systematic instead of just randomly trying things.

These are pretty dirt simple systems.

One additional thought...check the light switch connections. There is an after market diode that can be installed to jumper the turn signal power to the parking lamps so that the parking lamps *stay* on when the headlights are on (normally they go off), but still function as turn signals.

And what about the rear lights and turn signals? Do they work as they should? What about the backup lights? Do they come on when in reverse and headlights on (as designed)? Do they come on when the headlights are off (indicates someone made the mod to the neutral safety switch)?

To answer your questions:
No
Maybe
No

We chased a bit of an issue with the headlights on my 56 when I first got it. Low beam, both on; high beam, only one side. Turned out be one of the bulbs had an internal short. Replaced both, solved.

Get a wiring diagram and start tracing circuits. Check continuity and grounds. Inspect wiring harness for shorts to ground, chafing, etc. Be systematic instead of just randomly trying things.

These are pretty dirt simple systems.

One additional thought...check the light switch connections. There is an after market diode that can be installed to jumper the turn signal power to the parking lamps so that the parking lamps *stay* on when the headlights are on (normally they go off), but still function as turn signals.

And what about the rear lights and turn signals? Do they work as they should? What about the backup lights? Do they come on when in reverse and headlights on (as designed)? Do they come on when the headlights are off (indicates someone made the mod to the neutral safety switch)?
Rear lights and turn signals works as they should.
Backup lights work as designed only with lights on. But right one isn't working, I have a separate post on that issue.

I'll try the bulb before anything else. I replaced the flasher a month or so ago so that should be fine unless some short is causing it to fail.

Back