1957 purpose of tube on Holley carburetor

DIAS
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hi, can someone explain to me the function of this part see photo .This is on the exhaust and the copper tube goes to a Holley carburetor.

Dirk

Attachments

• IMG_20240607_150751.jpg
    IMG_20240607_150751.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20240607_150830.jpg
    IMG_20240607_150830.jpg
    888.1 KB · Views: 44

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

This copper tube does not look original.
I might have been a way to breath warm air for very cold weather. But it sure looks bad. Check the Ford manual and I bet it won't show there.

It is a heat tube for the carburetor choke.
It is not original, as originally there was a short tube that came out of the heat crossover section of the intake manifold.
My 57 has a similar tube stainless wired to the inboard side of the exhaust manifold that leads up to the choke on the carburetor.
Works just fine. My whole heat tube assembly is stainless steel.
The original hole in the intake manifold has been welded shut.

Attached is an article that explains the parts that make up the choke heater system along with the part numbers.

CASCO sells all parts that make up the choke heater system.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Choke Tube.jpg

Auto Choke Tubes.jpg

Or you can replace the current choke control with an electric choke. It will look much cleaner than the copper tube setup. Holley makes a kit for that. If you find the 12V power opens the choke too quickly, they also make a resistor (looks like a 1" black cube) that bolts to the firewall or intake manifold for the choke ground to slow the choke operation. I've done this on a couple old Fords with Holley or Autolite carbs.

Back