1957 carburetor secondary vacuum pull off

S

SlimerSnail

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I had trouble with my carb. The spring that applies downward pressure to the diaphragm did not have enough strength to push it closed. I changed the spring to a stronger one and fixed the problem.

I had trouble with my carb. The spring that applies downward pressure to the diaphragm did not have enough strength to push it closed. I changed the spring to a stronger one and fixed the problem.
My issue is that even if I manually actuate the shaft the butterfly on the secondary is still held slightly open. I think the diaphragm's actuation shaft is too short. Someone must have swapped it out in the last 65 years. When I measured, it appears to be the 2.040" one but I suspect it's supposed to be longer. It occurred to me that I can partially re-assemble the carburetor, disconnect the linkage, and using calipers, estimate how much longer it needs to be. I'll post back tonight or tomorrow with my findings.

Did you have hesitation at acceleration?

I played around with it some more and I think the correct length is the 2.040" one after all! I must have assembled it wrong earlier.

Back