1957 Measurement - Ground to top of Seat | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1957 Measurement - Ground to top of Seat

• Thread starter Thread starter lbaker1947
  • Start date Start date
lbaker1947

lbaker1947

New 57 Bird
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Need help - My wife has problems getting into the 76 Corvette I sold. Now I have my sights set on a 57 T-bird. Can't find one local to measure. Need your help, could someone send me the measurement of the ground to the top of the seat. Does anyone have sketches or tables with this type of info?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Need help - My wife has problems getting into the 76 Corvette I sold. Now I have my sights set on a 57 T-bird. Can't find one local to measure. Need your help, could someone send me the measurement of the ground to the top of the seat. Does anyone have sketches or tables with this type of info?
Roughly 19 inches. Things to keep in mind with that number, it's from a straight edge laid across the seat and sticking out the door opening, then measured from the straightedge to the ground. The seat has brand new foam and probably sits higher than many cars with several year old foam might sit. It's also a measurement from the tip of the bolsters, not the center of the seat where your butt sits. The butt point would would make the measurement perhaps an inch less, 18". Also my springs are a little saggy. It would sit about 2" higher with new springs, maybe more, 21"+.

It also has much to do with the way you enter the car. As a “full figured” male (5’11” 205lbs) the trick is to enter head first, lay your hands on the seat, then twist towards the left as you draw 1 leg in. While this could be well known by many T-bird folks, it took me a few months to realize the ease of entry this provides. My 6’3” son tried the “ conventional way….” foot first. It was comical

Mine also has the 15” diameter steering wheel which makes a nice difference.

Roughly 19 inches. Things to keep in mind with that number, it's from a straight edge laid across the seat and sticking out the door opening, then measured from the straightedge to the ground. The seat has brand new foam and probably sits higher than many cars with several year old foam might sit. It's also a measurement from the tip of the bolsters, not the center of the seat where your butt sits. The butt point would would make the measurement perhaps an inch less, 18". Also my springs are a little saggy. It would sit about 2" higher with new springs, maybe more, 21"+.
Thank you, Jim, understand lots of variables, just needed a point of comparison.

The difference between the the Tbird and the corvette is with the Tbird you don’t have to drop down into the seat.
but the head clearance is tight even for an average person

Back