1957 Horn Access | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1957 Horn Access

• Thread starter Thread starter Deman
  • Start date Start date
D

Deman

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Does anyone know how to access the two horns on a 1957 TBird? Someone cut the wires and they are lying behind the grille and am wondering if I have to remove the grille or can access the horns to see if they have wire terminals or push on plugs and then test or replace the horns.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Does anyone know how to access the two horns on a 1957 TBird? Someone cut the wires and they are lying behind the grille and am wondering if I have to remove the grille or can access the horns to see if they have wire terminals or push on plugs and then test or replace the horns.
IF you are going to restore your car, you need a service manual.

The only way I know to get to them is from the circular access plate under the car, in front of the radiator. From memory I believe it's about 6" diameter. From there you can reach (just barely) the horns. I believe that's also the same access point if you want to get in behind the grill to remove it.

With a helper working on the top side it’s not that bad a job
The retaining bolts and wire connections can be removed from the top side
Only need to support and remove the horn from the lower end

To replace the horns, you do not have to remove the grille. There is a circular access cutout in the panel behind the bumper and in front of the radiator. Remove the three screws that hold the cover on and remove the cover. Here is a picture of the access cutout with the cover removed.

Access To Horns.JPG

From the engine compartment next to the radiator support, take the wire off the horn and take out the two half inch bolts that hold the horn.
Horn Mounting.jpg

When the bolts are just about out, hold the horn so it doesn’t just fall and possibly hit and damage the radiator. If you have a helper, have them hold the horn through the access cutout. If not and you are a contortionist, hold the horn through the cutout and lower it down. The horn can be removed through the access port.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Horn.jpg

Back