1957 adding right side mirror devalue?

Bill's57
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Maybe this has been asked before, would adding a Rt. side affect the value of the car

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I would assume only if you want it to be all original or concourse. Sure would help drive-ability!

I was going to add it ..but the pillar hides it completely and it’s useless from the drivers position…. Symmetrically balances the outside however. Maybe they should have designed fender mounted mirrors…but adjusting them might be a pita.

Ouch! All depends on how much you want to keep it original. Last post mentioned not useful. Try double sided tape first and drive around the block b4 you drill those holes. See post by Doug7740 on side mirrors.

Last edited:
When you post to the forum your subject/title should be a summary of your post. "1957 Rt side mirror" could mean anything. I revised your title.

model-year-TBF.jpg

I installed this quite a while back and it works perfectly. Front of bracket’s 3.5” back from edge of the door. Useful on the road as well as super useful backing the car into fairly tight spot in the garage where she lives. Don’t understand folks saying that they aren’t functional??
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The drivers side mirror is about 1/2” back from the edge of the door, so if you’re not trying to match the position of the drivers side this would work! Thanks.

So nobody has really mentioned devaluing of the vehicle, so I'll probably just put it as close to the original location as possible we're it's useful, drill the holes and stop worrying about it. You don't see both sides of the vehicle at the same time

Knuckle, put some tape on the mirror base. While you're sitting in the car, have a helper move the mirror until you find the sweet spot. Mark the location, and then mount. If you/anyone else notices that it does not line up with the driver's-side mirror, you can move the driver's side back a bit.

It makes no sense to me why anyone would mount a passenger's-side mirror to just "balance the look." Mirrors should be functional. Unfortunately, we both know something about mc mirrors that are required by law, but not functional.

If someone's primary point of having the car is to have a show winner than don't put it on. If the primary point of having the car is to drive and enjoy, I'd say put a mirror on if you want that modern safety benefit.

As to it not lining up perfectly with the driver's mirror, the difference between the location where it works versus the "perfectly lined up location" is 2.5" on mine. If that mismatch gets someone's underwear in a bunch, I'm not going to worry about it.

My 55 top has quite a blind spot; hopefully 56/57 tops/w port holes are better.
That's why they went to them. Customers complained about the blind spot. But you still have the issue with the rag top.
This whole discussion about where to put mirrors is interesting. I don't know if it's still true but Japan at one point required mirrors on the passenger and possibly the driver's side also way out on the fender. Almost too small and too far away to do any good.

Last edited:
That's why they went to them. Customers complained about the blind spot. But you still have the issue with the rag top.
This whole discussion about where to put mirrors is interesting. I don't know if it's still true but Japan at one point required mirrors on the passenger and possibly the driver's side also way out on the fender. Almost too small and too far away to do any good.

I remember photos of those Japanese cars. Never understood it as it would seem to be impossible to see anything in those small mirrors set so far away. And it looked weird.

Well I think my question has been answered the mirror is going on with no second thoughts, in a spot that makes it useful

If located in the same position as the driver side
You can still use it
You must lean over towards the passenger seat.
Very helpful backing out of the garage
Not so much in traffic
As for value, I don’t see any either way
It does give the car symity.

If located in the same position as the driver side
You can still use it
You must lean over towards the passenger seat.
Very helpful backing out of the garage
Not so much in traffic
As for value, I don’t see any either way
It does give the car symity.
What ever works. I just keep my head on a swivel and pay attention to my surroundings. As far as pulling into the garage, just practice. You'll get it down. I have a 2X4 scrap that I use as a stop so I can get around her when tinkering. Wife uses a pendulum from the rafters to park next door so I have room for my work bench.

This is another thread on the same topic… points of view “vary”

Well I think my question has been answered the mirror is going on with no second thoughts, in a spot that makes it useful

Just in case you haven't seen them.. you can get the repo mirrors with the normal flat glass or you can get it with the curved glass so "objects in mirror are closer than they appear". That's what I got, works great. Had my daughter hold it and move it while I sat in the drivers seat to get it positioned so I could best see it.

Back