1957 adding right side mirror devalue?

I posted a comment that seems to have been deleted or lost for some reason. My question was: would it be feasible to attach the passenger’s side mirror with a (very strong) magnet? Anyone have any experience or insights?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I posted a comment that seems to have been deleted or lost for some reason. My question was: would it be feasible to attach the passenger’s side mirror with a (very strong) magnet? Anyone have any experience or insights?
I saw a message about a magnet, but I think it got posted in a different thread. In any case, there are strong magnets that can be used. To do it for a mirror you have to put it on a sharply curved part of the door and the base of the mirror isn't very big. I think it could be done with the appropriate magnets if you set your mind to it but you might need to make a base a bit larger than the mirrors base.

So nobody has really mentioned devaluing of the vehicle...
I think it *will*, although how much depends on a lot of other things (and what the market will bear). It's not original, and if you drill holes in the door, then that's a somewhat permanent deviation from "correct". Maybe a buyer would want to reduce the price because of the now-incorrect door, maybe not. I would (at least some), since putting it back to "correct" or even Concours would be kind of expensive.

Not sure why you need it, though. With the top down, you can just look around you. I've only had the top on to drive about an hour and a half so far, to take it get repainted, but I didn't find any visibility issues really (with the porthole windows). I dunno about it with the soft top up, though, since I've yet to drive it in that configuration. YMMV.

Poor idea. If you don't want to permanently attach the mirror, learn to live without it.

Why would it be a poor idea? Just wondering.
Just the logistics of how long it would stay in place? I have a hard enough time keeping my full wheel covers on. Next time I have wheel work done I'll have the weights moved to the inside. Cleaner too.

Try it.

Personally, I want to be able to see what's around me while driving; that means either putting port holes in my 55 top or adding a passenger-side mirror. It will be easier (and cheaper) to install the mirror, and I actually like the look of the top w/o port holes. If anyone ever wants to remove the mirror, filling and painting the holes will not break the bank.

Back