1957 312 hesitation/stuttering under acceleration | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1957 312 hesitation/stuttering under acceleration

• Thread starter Thread starter CHAMBERS777
  • Start date Start date
C

CHAMBERS777

Click here to upgrade
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Hi there,

Looking for help and advice on this, under acceleration the car seems to stutter and splutter for a second or two and then finally finds itself and kicks on. It is definitely more pronounced when going uphill, I’m not talking of heavy acceleration or anything just general driving around town and the suburbs etc. I’m also getting quite large drafts of burnt gas/exhaust smell when I have the windows down and driving which I haven’t noticed before, I’m wondering if these two issues could be connected. It’s a rebuilt motor with around 2500 miles on it, The car starts hot and cold with no issues, one turn of the key and she goes, I’m running a electronic ignition and Holley 600CFM carb. In drive she idles around the 500rpm mark, in neutral between the 700-800rpm range. I have noticed that on start up and backing out the garage she spits out some black soot on the ground, I thought that was pretty normal as I think on cold idle these things run pretty rich.

Because of the lockdown over in Scotland I haven’t managed to drive her properly for best part of a year, she has been started every month, brought up to operating temp and shut off. Last summer the spark plugs were changed out to some good premium ones sold from one of the T Bird suppliers, that’s all that I have changed ignition wise, never had any issues with accelerating or excess exhaust fumes in the past.

Any ideas where I could start with this, running too rich?? Needle/float issue?? other than this the car does run very very well

Appreciate any advice or help, many thanks for your time.

Chris Chambers
Prestwick, Scotland

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Had a similar issue with a VW Bug.
1) replace the fuel filter
2) clean or replace spark plugs

A general tune-up may help, I don't know what "electronic ignition" you have but sticky centrifugal advance weights in the distributor, deteriorated carburetor accelerator pump, timing, weak fuel pump and a host of other issues could be the cause. Read down this page about "Bog, Hesitation, Stumble" for more info:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would check to see that your choke is adjusted and functioning properly . You could also check the float level, which is quite easy to do on the Holly. As I remember there is a sight plug on the side of the fuel bowl. With the plug removed, the correct level should be right at the bottom of the plug.

Good luck

Back