1956 Flooded finally started, runs rough | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1956 Flooded finally started, runs rough

• Thread starter Thread starter Goldwinghg
  • Start date Start date
G
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
None
Started my car this morning as usual it can be slow and tries to flood out. After it started it ran really rough. Took it out for a drive to see if it would smooth out. Never did,I thought maybe the plugs needed to be changed. They looked really black,and I thought new plugs would help. After changing them it doesn't run much better. It's doesn't want to idle. After I take off,it runs pretty fair but still smells rich. Any suggestion what might be the problem?

This page contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

First time this spring?……. Could be bad gas. Ethanol/gas gets kind of punky.

Need to calibrate the float needle from the upper nut that tightens by holding the center, loosening the nut, and then only only turning the center which is the float needle. Then tighten the nut again.
The correct carb level is measure by unscrewing the side bolt and the level, with the engine on idle, should only be just below the hole and not dripping.
Be careful, this is done with the engine running, but start the analysis by simply opening the bolt and see if it is overfilled with engine off.

Need to calibrate the float needle from the upper nut that tightens by holding the center, loosening the nut, and then only only turning the center which is the float needle. Then tighten the nut again.
The correct carb level is measure by unscrewing the side bolt and the level, with the engine on idle, should only be just below the hole and not dripping.
Be careful, this is done with the engine running, but start the analysis by simply opening the bolt and see if it is overfilled with engine off.
I have a holley carb. Not original t pot. I guess I should have added that in my comments.

IF it was running good "last week" and isnt now and the plugs are all sooted up that suggests the carb has gotten way too rich. Maybe dirt, maybe sticking needle/seat. Not familar enough with internals of holley to suggest much more.

IF it was running good "last week" and isnt now and the plugs are all sooted up that suggests the carb has gotten way too rich. Maybe dirt, maybe sticking needle/seat. Not familar enough with internals of holley to suggest much more.
I think it's in the carb. too,finding somebody to check it out, isn't easy even around Houston.

In my opinion, rebuilding a Holley 4160 carburetor is a lot easier than rebuilding the original Holley 4000 (T-Pot) carburetor. Instead of looking for someone to rebuild your carburetor, did you ever consider rebuilding it yourself? Half the fun of owning a classic car is doing the work yourself.

Attached is the Holley 4150 rebuilding guide.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Attachments

In my opinion, rebuilding a Holley 4160 carburetor is a lot easier than rebuilding the original Holley 4000 (T-Pot) carburetor. Instead of looking for someone to rebuild your carburetor, did you ever consider rebuilding it yourself? Half the fun of owning a classic car is doing the work yourself.

Attached is the Holley 4150 rebuilding guide.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue
Adjusted the float levels. Running great now. Thanks to all that commented.

Started my car this morning as usual it can be slow and tries to flood out. After it started it ran really rough. Took it out for a drive to see if it would smooth out. Never did,I thought maybe the plugs needed to be changed. They looked really black,and I thought new plugs would help. After changing them it doesn't run much better. It's doesn't want to idle. After I take off,it runs pretty fair but still smells rich. Any suggestion what might be the problem?
It sounds to me like a stuck or fluid-filled float, or a stuck needle & seat. You could also check to see if the fuel pump is providing too much pressure, It should be 2.5 to 3 PSI.

Probably has a bad power valve allowing fuel to bypass the diaphragm. Replace the power valve.

I found it was flooding out. The float was set to high,causing flooding. Adjust the bowl level starting and running great!

If you have a teapot carb. it might be the tube beween the lower half and the upper half of the carb(between intake and bowl valve. Here it is one o-ring in each end of the tube that will wear during long time parking. If it start leaking, fuel will be feed directly into the aft intake ports. It will then run very rich and smoke black. This is a problem if car has been longtine parked with “E” fuel for a longer period of time.

If you have a teapot carb. it might be the tube beween the lower half and the upper half of the carb(between intake and bowl valve. Here it is one o-ring in each end of the tube that will wear during long time parking. If it start leaking, fuel will be feed directly into the aft intake ports. It will then run very rich and smoke black. This is a problem if car has been longtine parked with “E” fuel for a longer period of time.
Holley,

Back