1955 What 15 inch wheel offset will clear the skirts? | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1955 What 15 inch wheel offset will clear the skirts?

• Thread starter Thread starter photoguy
  • Start date Start date
photoguy

photoguy

Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
Morning all!

Would like to order a new set of 15" wheels, sized as close to factory as possible. It seems the factory offset is ET0, I can't seem to find any of these, I'm seeing -3, -6, etc. Does anyone know where I can find ET0 wheels, or what optional offset will clear the skirts and brakes?

Thank you!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

There is more than the offset to the equation. Rim width and tire size are also something to consider. Remember that the original tires were 6.70 x 15 bias ply tires and they were much thinner than the replacement 205x78x15 so even using the new tire size is going to make the tires run closer to the skirts. Now add the radial effect to the mix. Radial tires tend to roll side to side as a function of their design. Even using radial tires that some companies make to mirror the shape of the OE tire, will cause some fender skirt interference on moderate to hard cornering. The mitigation for this is to re-bush the rear end so that there is less side to side movement of the rear suspension. 60+ years of use causes the rubber parts to become loose and not retain their new rigidity. I would find a wheel of the same width as the OE and look for an offset that brings the wheel in about 1/2" on each side. that, along with standard size tires should solve the problem. I wish you well.

There is more than the offset to the equation. Rim width and tire size are also something to consider. Remember that the original tires were 6.70 x 15 bias ply tires and they were much thinner than the replacement 205x78x15 so even using the new tire size is going to make the tires run closer to the skirts. Now add the radial effect to the mix. Radial tires tend to roll side to side as a function of their design. Even using radial tires that some companies make to mirror the shape of the OE tire, will cause some fender skirt interference on moderate to hard cornering. The mitigation for this is to re-bush the rear end so that there is less side to side movement of the rear suspension. 60+ years of use causes the rubber parts to become loose and not retain their new rigidity. I would find a wheel of the same width as the OE and look for an offset that brings the wheel in about 1/2" on each side. that, along with standard size tires should solve the problem. I wish you well.
Sorry, if I didn't communicate well. Yes, I'm trying to keep as close to stock as possible, I'm riding on newer radials 205/75/15's, the ride is night and day over the bias tires. The ride is super smooth at 75mph.

Thank you very much!!

Back