1955: Reduced Speed of Blinkers and Radio Volume While Driving | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1955: Reduced Speed of Blinkers and Radio Volume While Driving

• Thread starter Thread starter fornaroj
  • Start date Start date
F
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
To All

I have a question that I hope is not complicated but I am scratching my head.

Recently, I noticed that after 10 minutes on the road, the speed of my blinkers gets slower and slower, and the sound on radio becomes almost non-existent for the rest of the ride. If I shut the car off, let it sit for awhile, and re-start it, the cycle happens again.

The car starts up on 1 (maybe 2) cranks. The coil, voltage regulator and battery are fine and are about 1 year old. The generator was rebuilt last year. This issue started about 1-2 months ago and never happened in the 9 years that I’ve owned the car.

I would appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Regards

Jim

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

To All

I have a question that I hope is not complicated but I am scratching my head.

Recently, I noticed that after 10 minutes on the road, the speed of my blinkers gets slower and slower, and the sound on radio becomes almost non-existent for the rest of the ride. If I shut the car off, let it sit for awhile, and re-start it, the cycle happens again.

The car starts up on 1 (maybe 2) cranks. The coil, voltage regulator and battery are fine and are about 1 year old. The generator was rebuilt last year. This issue started about 1-2 months ago and never happened in the 9 years that I’ve owned the car.

I would appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Regards

Jim
Hmmm, sounds like a voltage drop? Can you measure the voltage at the battery or under the dash to the radio when it does this? Is the car still 6VDC? Do the headlights dim? Check for good grounds or lose wires. Can you check generator output before and after symptoms? Did you check the voltage regulator? Is the battery charging? Maybe you're just running off the battery?

High resistance in the bulbs and sockets will cause a fast flash and when driving, the vibration may help the connection. One reason you can tell a bulb is burnt out when it flashes fast.
As far as the radio you may have some tubes that when warm are not working up to snuff. Make sure the ground is good.

High resistance in the bulbs and sockets will cause a fast flash and when driving, the vibration may help the connection. One reason you can tell a bulb is burnt out when it flashes fast.
As far as the radio you may have some tubes that when warm are not working up to snuff. Make sure the ground is good.
FYI
It is 6 volt, positive ground.
The generator was rebuilt last year and the gen light does not come on when this happens.

I’m thinking it’s a grounding issue.

The tension on the gen belt is fine.

Here is voltage information for the battery which I just gathered:
  • Before cranking = 6.5 volts
  • After starting and while idling = 7.5 volts
  • After putting on the lights and radio while idling = 6.7 volts
  • After 15 minutes, with slow blinkers and almost no sound on the radio = 6.7 volts
Neither the gen light nor battery light came on.

Is this helpful?
Thanks

Does the blinker relay slow down if the radio is off? Do the headlights dim? Did you measure the voltage under the dash or at the ignition switch? There is the possibility of a poor ground (high resistance) somewhere under the dash that feeds voltage to all chassis connected components which is causing a high amperage & a voltage drain due to bad connection as the connector heats up? The higher the amperage draw the lower the voltage at the device.
Check for loose connections or abnormally warm wires.

Last edited:
In most cases you would tend to believe there is one problem causing both problems since as you said they happen at the same time.
that being said you may want to try and isolate one system at a time.
Checking the grounds and connections
Try replacing the turn signal blinker if all else check ok
Cheap and easy

Back