1955 overheating in traffic summertime

Not sure that this would help but I did read a post about checking the gauge with a 3 volt battery to insure it is reading properly but right now I don’t remember where it is. I believe it was posted by @doug7740 …I read way too much and now it’s gotten a bit confusing :)
I have the original gauge and I always felt it was a bi suspect. I nstalled an aftermarket VDO gauge in the other cylinder head and it is what I rely on although the oem gauge is in sync with the VDO.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

@jack-in-sac i actually have the same thing. However I don’t get the sense that the dash gauge is representing equal values just by its swing left or right. I’m currently running 180 -190 on the analog set under the dash and the IR gun but it is only 60 degrees out. My history with this car goes way back …6 weeks ago.
So, I’ve got a ton more to go before I can trust it.

Has anyone replaced the stock water pump pulley with a smaller one to increase idle water flow to help with overheating in traffic? What size did you use and what size belt did you go with?

I put in a modified spacer, HO water pump, 6 blade fan, bigger radiator, high flow thermostat which helped some, but she still doesn’t like hot day idling!

Does an electric fan in front of the radiator help?

Thanks

I have an electric fan as well as the 6 bladed fan on the engine
It is set at 190 degrees f and will kick on at times when sitting at long red lights
But
It is also tided into the AC and will kick on when the high side reaches 245 psi

Zero,
Have you ever had your bock cleaned out
You may have a large build up of rust or calcium

When driving my 55, the needle on the temperature gauge almost always pegs to the right.
The radiator is full with liquid. Might it be a faulty thermostat and/or should I remove it all together?

When driving my 55, the needle on the temperature gauge almost always pegs to the right.
The radiator is full with liquid. Might it be a faulty thermostat and/or should I remove it all together?
Get a hand held temperature gun and check the temperature of the thermostat area. (arrow in photo)
As the original gauges get older they get less accurate, don't believe what its showing you unless confirmed with a better thermometer.
The radiator should not be completely full unless there is also an added-on overflow tank.
The normal coolant lever in the radiator is approx 1 inch below the filler neck. As the coolant heats up it expands and has to have someplace to go. If you fill the radiator to the top it will just push out that excess.

It won't hurt to go back and look over the previous pages & comments in this thread. That info may answer more of your questions.

Attachments

• 57 engine, temp surface.jpg
    57 engine, temp surface.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 2
Check your temp gauge. Doug posted this article a while back. IMG_7893.jpeg

Since I am the one who wrote that article it pleases me to know that someone thought enough of it to print it and put it in a book. I have written so many articles over the years and it seems that most of the time they are just read and then forgotten.

Thank you,

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

Calibration.jpg

I think my vapor lock problem has been solved! I put 7 gaskets (2 more than stock) under the Teapot and insulated the fuel line and spent the weekend at The Crazy Days car show in LaGrande Or. 95° days climbing long grades, and slow traffic parades and the temp gauge was at 95% but no vapor lock this time. ? Thanks Doug for the Teapot gasket stack information.

I think my vapor lock problem has been solved! I put 7 gaskets (2 more than stock) under the Teapot and insulated the fuel line and spent the weekend at The Crazy Days car show in LaGrande Or. 95° days climbing long grades, and slow traffic parades and the temp gauge was at 95% but no vapor lock this time. ? Thanks Doug for the Teapot gasket stack information.
Just make sure it's tuned correctly. My'57 used to almost peg the dial in the dash in 80+ weather. . After a complete tune up it including adjusting the valves and eliminating the heat riser it now runs in the high white line.

All that Tuned to specs. Eliminated heat riser a while back. Normal highway driving on hot days 70%-80%. Cool days 60% hot days traffic about 85%-90% on white line. Temperature with digital gun 180° to 195°. When the temp needle went to the top of the white band I used to get worried, but not anymore. I believe the temp gauges are very sensitive. Unless it pegs I’m not going to worry. ?

Last edited:
Back