1955 No headlights, but taillights + turn signal issues | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

1955 No headlights, but taillights + turn signal issues

• Thread starter Thread starter usvette
  • Start date Start date
U
Reaction score
Thunderbird Year
I just purchased a low mile 55 T-bird two days ago and just started checking things out more. It's a 6V system of course. When I pull out the light switch out I have no headlights but I do have taillights. When I push the light switch back in half way all the park lights work. When I turn on the turn signals both rear ones work, but not the front ones. Getting kind of baffled here. Any helps?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Since this is an all Ford Thunderbird site, you don't need to include the Make & Model of your car in the title/Subject. Title revised.

model-year.jpg

Well it would help to know what you have checked. Do the high beams work? If that switch gets corroded or has a bad connection your headlights won't work. Are the bulbs good in your marker lights? Do you have power at the bulb socket? If so maybe a bad ground.

I just purchased a low mile 55 T-bird two days ago and just started checking things out more. It's a 6V system of course. When I pull out the light switch out I have no headlights but I do have taillights. When I push the light switch back in half way all the park lights work. When I turn on the turn signals both rear ones work, but not the front ones. Getting kind of baffled here. Any helps?

First off there are no fuses that power the front beams and front turning lights, instead there is a circuit breaker inside the headlight switch. Since you have parking lights the internal circuit breaker is not tripped. There is however a 9 amp fuse on the back of the headlamp switch, but that is for the left and right door jamb switches for the interior light.

Let’s start by looking at the headlight circuit.
Headlight Circuit.jpg

You said that when you pull the light switch out I have no headlights, but you have taillights and when you push the light switch back in half way all the park lights work. Looking at the headlight circuit, I would check the foot dimmer switch for corrosion or a poor connection as 74 Harley suggested. Don’t forget the basics like the headlamp bulbs and ground connections.

Since you said that when you turn on the turn signals both rear ones work but not the front ones do not, check the and junction block connections on the left and right fender aprons.

doug7740
1955 Thunderbird Blue

I agree with all the above. For me it was a bad ground. Remove the small box on the front drivers fender, wire brush the screw and the fender (where it won't be seen) and reattach. Hope this helps.

Well it would help to know what you have checked. Do the high beams work? If that switch gets corroded or has a bad connection your headlights won't work. Are the bulbs good in your marker lights? Do you have power at the bulb socket? If so maybe a bad ground.
Got power in the light switch and the dimmer. All my back lights work, just not the front except for the park lights.

Ok, so you have power at the dimmer, but do you have power coming out of it? Next up is to pull headlights and make sure you have power at the bulbs.
So when your switch is in parking light mode are your front parking lights working?

I own a 1955 Bird with 6 volt system going on 40 years. I suggest you may start with a 6 volt Optima battery that performs like a 12 volt and you can purchase a 6 volt fake battery housing to keep the original battery look.
Change to an alternator instead of the old generator that also eliminates the voltage regulator. This will solve most electrical problems for years to come. I also changed all exterior light bulbs to 6 volt LEDs and they are very bright.
As suggested on one of the Forums, add some additional grounding wires and clean the old grounding wires to have shinny contacts on the old grounding wires. These old Birds are going on 70 years and require constant attention to keep them healthy. This is an unending rewarding hobby.

Back