1955 Backup & Turn Signal Lights Flicker in Reverse

Royceo
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hello fellow bird lovers. When I shift my 55 with auto transmission to reverse both my backuplights and taillights continuously flicker when my headlights are on also. I suspect I might have a wiring issue with my neutral safety switch but don't know exactly what to look for. Any help of useful tips would certainly be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Royce

First check your wire connections, pull them apart, make sure the wire is tight in the bullet and no corrosion on the bullet end.
and grounds, make sure they are tight, you can remove them and make sure there is no corrosion

The majority of times one part being used affects another one it is a bad ground.

Hello fellow bird lovers. When I shift my 55 with auto transmission to reverse both my backuplights and taillights continuously flicker when my headlights are on also. I suspect I might have a wiring issue with my neutral safety switch but don't know exactly what to look for. Any help of useful tips would certainly be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Royce
6v or 12v? 6v is not very forgiving for connectivity issues. Think about this, slot cars run on 6-9 volts!

Check the the Neutral safety switch for loose connections. Look for any crack wire insulations.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. My car has been upgraded to 12 volt but with most of the original 6 volt wiring intact. Are you guys suggesting that I check the wiring connections on the neutral safety switch?

You might use a volt meter and monitor the voltage at the battery while this is happening. If the voltage is flickering with the lights I would look at the voltage regulator. I believe the old regulators would toggle between high charge and low charge as the demand for current increased. With all your lights on as you describe the demand might be at the point where it will toggle back and forth between high and low charge and I believe that is adjustable. With all the lights doing this at the same time it points to something that all the lights have in common.
Hope this helps.
Ed

I agree that it is probably a bad ground. Do the headlights also flicker? Does it happen when you only have the parking lights on? I'd check the wires for the tail lights & back-up lights. Those get jostled the most. If there are any with cracked insulation most common at the connections and definitely the grounds. Liquid electrical tape is great for that. Also pull the bulbs, clean the bulbs & sockets and coat with di-electric grease.

Thank you guys for the responses. The tail lights and backup lamps are the only lights that flicker. The headlamps are fine. This occurs only when I have the transmission in reverse gear.

I strongly suspect that the rear taillight housings do not have a good grounds and I would check them 1st. They ground via sheet metal screws, and after many years the metal around those screws may corrode a little. After a good cleaning, I put a little welding grease (I got mne from Eastwood) on the screws to prevent corrosion. I've seen many odd problems in many cars come down to poor grounding by a sheet metal screw. Even a small drop in voltage (due to the headlight's draw) could be enough to fail to overcome a tiny amount of corrosion. Good luck!

I strongly suspect that the rear taillight housings do not have a good grounds and I would check them 1st. They ground via sheet metal screws, and after many years the metal around those screws may corrode a little. After a good cleaning, I put a little welding grease (I got mne from Eastwood) on the screws to prevent corrosion. I've seen many odd problems in many cars come down to poor grounding by a sheet metal screw. Even a small drop in voltage (due to the headlight's draw) could be enough to fail to overcome a tiny amount of corrosion. Good luck!
Not familiar with welding grease but di-electric grease available at any auto parts store is probably the same.
Yes, grounding on and old car is a major issue with the electrical system. That's why I stress that any connection you touch use it. I've stories to document.

Please let me stress that welding grease is not the same as dielectric grease; the former is made to be conductive and is copper colored, while the latter is an insulator and appears clear. I use it very sparingly nearly everywhere outside of the passenger compartment on most connections and sometimes even on fuses under the dash; the high humidity here in TX tends to lead to corrosion and gives rise to many gremlins. Later Fords (70s-up) sometimes used white grease in some of their multipin connectors to help keep moisture out. Unfortunately, I've not seen welding grease at my local parts stores, but my small bottle from Eastwood has lasted me for more than a decade.

Back