#1 Cylinder misfire ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
R
I just bought my '02 last week. I added some Gumout fuel system cleaner to a tank of gas to clean it. I took it in to the dealer for a 15k service. When I left the check engine light came on. I took it back the next day. They told me the computer said the #1 cylinder was misfiring but did not have anyone to look at it. I got an appointment for two days later and drove it home. Now the light is out. Sometimes you have to engage the starter for about five seconds before it cranks and it smokes a little and idles rough for just a few seconds. After that it runs and drives like a top. Any thoughts on this ? Do you think I have a problem or it was just a temporary hiccup from the cleaner loosening up some residue ?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Since they know that the computer said it was misfiring, and you have an appointment, I'd keep it and let them go about the trouble shooting routine.
That way, even if they find nothing, you have a written service record on the issue and if it returns you can go back to them.

One last thing, I'd suggest that you DO NOT volunteer anything like you did in your post. "after a while it runs and drives like a top".
All that does is give them an out to say, well just drive it and bring it back if there's an issue.
Let them tell you there's no issue or that they fixed it

Engine hesitation and check engine light on steady

Here's some input from a TBird owner that may help you or someone else.
In this case the check engine light came on and stayed on for sometime and there was a "hesitation when trying to accellerate":

This is a 2005 Bird that sometimes hesitates when "asking" it for more power, ie, stepping on the gas to increase speed. The hesitation experienced happened just about every time they needed to increase speed.

End result, took it into a Ford dealership and they fixed it by replacing a potentiometer - engine throttle body
TSB 5-14-4. Their report said: "removed throttle body and replaced TPS (Throttle position sensor)

In this case the check light was on solid. It stayed on for 4 days but had gone out before the car went into the dealer.

For those that haven't read their owners manual, the engine check light coming on solid means there is a malfunction in the emission controls, so they just continued to drive it as it didn't appear to affect much.

If the light was blinking - the manual says see dealer ASAP.

Just passing on information:)

another likely culprit is that the coil on number one is going bad. This same condition happened on my 98 lincoln mark VIII. it costs around 50 dollars and is easy enough to replace yourself.

You may be correct there Inca.
Redbird, you can do a search on COPS and/or Coil on plugs and get more info.
Or have a dealer do an OASIS search on your vehicle: "Online Automobile Service Information System - OASIS. Ask any for dealer to run a OASIS on your vehicle. They can run the basic OASIS or can run by certain componets ie: Air conditioner (noise, odor, won't cool, etc) They are able to search for Technical Service Bulletins or Special Service messages on any componet and its symptoms." Note, the above quote taken from a previous posting by another member here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back