02-05 Towing with a Gen 11?

Kevin in CDA

Kevin in CDA

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Today I helped a friend move. When we finished, I followed him to the U-Haul store so I could give him a ride home after he returned the truck. While he was at the counter finishing up with the paperwork, a wandered the area looking at random things. They had a display set up that had 4 or 5 different hitches that they had for sale. What caught my eye was one was labeled as fitting the 2002-2005 Thunderbird. I had never even previously considered the possibility of towing, however, this got me thinking about a possible remedy for what I perceive to be one of the birds biggest drawbacks, the lack of cargo space for an extended road trip. I was thinking something sized like this https://www.harborfreight.com/1090-...tility-trailer-62645.html?_br_psugg_q=trailer with a small box mounted on it, to allow the carrying of a few extra bags. Anybody have any experience pulling a trailer? The guy at the U-Haul place said if I wanted the hitch he would give me a really good deal, as it had been sitting there for at least 10 years that he knew about.

Please include the model year in the subject on future posts. Added for you.
model-year.jpg

Today I helped a friend move. When we finished, I followed him to the U-Haul store so I could give him a ride home after he returned the truck. While he was at the counter finishing up with the paperwork, a wandered the area looking at random things. They had a display set up that had 4 or 5 different hitches that they had for sale. What caught my eye was one was labeled as fitting the 2002-2005 Thunderbird. I had never even previously considered the possibility of towing, however, this got me thinking about a possible remedy for what I perceive to be one of the birds biggest drawbacks, the lack of cargo space for an extended road trip. I was thinking something sized like this https://www.harborfreight.com/1090-...tility-trailer-62645.html?_br_psugg_q=trailer with a small box mounted on it, to allow the carrying of a few extra bags. Anybody have any experience pulling a trailer? The guy at the U-Haul place said if I wanted the hitch he would give me a really good deal, as it had been sitting there for at least 10 years that he knew about.

No problem to pull a small trailer. I have towed with smaller cars than the t-bird. Don't pull more than 500 pounds and dont accelerate hard. And please get a small, aerodynamic trailer. That harbor freight trailer was so ugly.

I’ve thought about it too. But I once saw a Corvette pulling a trailer made to look as if it had been made out of the rear portion of another Corvette. I think that would be cool to have a trailer with the rear of a bird. I just don’t know where to start.

No problem to pull a small trailer. I have towed with smaller cars than the t-bird. Don't pull more than 500 pounds and dont accelerate hard. And please get a small, aerodynamic trailer. That harbor freight trailer was so ugly.
I was just using that as in idea of the size I would want to pul. I did think it had the advantage that one could put what ever type of box on it they wanted.

I would think without the fuel tank, convertible top mechanism, and other junk the trunk could be opened up. Once done it would have a pretty large space to carry things in. And I don’t think the weight would be much of a problem even after attaching it to an aftermarket trailer frame. The axle would dictate the maximum weight of the trailer plus what you would be carrying in it. And of course you would want matching wheels to your car wheels.

The hitch for my 2004 T-Bird was fairly easy to install---all the mounting holes in the T-Bird frame were pre-drilled so no drilling was required---just bolt it up to the frame which I did myself, but an extra hand or two would make it much easier. I assume the one at U-Haul is similar. Regarding towing, the V-8 in the T-Bird has plenty of power---I tow 2 different boats with mine (not at the same time of course): a light 10' aluminum boat with motors up to about 18HP, and a 15'3" fiberglass boat with an 85HP Evinrude. I hardly know the aluminum boat is back there; the fiberglass boat is easy to tow as well, but you know it's back there, especially when going up grades when the transmission downshifts to keep up with the speed control. I never drive faster than 60 MPH with either boat. The fiberglass boat weighs approximately 700 lbs with the motor at 230 lbs, so total weight is slightly over 1,000 lbs with gas, battery, gear, etc. I don't think an occasioinal tow will harm the car, especially if the oil is changed regularly, and the coolant is topped off at the proper level.

The 2002 model T’Bird is rated to tow a trailer up to 1,000 pounds. There is even a connector in the trunk for a special trailer wiring harness that Ford used to sell. That harness was very expensive (about $400 last one I saw), but an aftermarket harness for “low-side switching” can be adapted. (Lincoln LS or Windstar).
I have an all aluminum trailer I built to haul our stuff from Michigan to Florida when we used to Winter down here. I also have a bike rack and a cargo carrier to haul
my scooter. My trailer hitch is very useful.

9304BBBE-9CF3-40D7-8DD9-F710A7C7EC30.jpegAD2297A9-6261-4CEE-9731-731468335AAE.jpeg05C6CD54-C2DD-4EC1-9818-C5711C8A9979.jpeg

Back