1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Click the "X" to the right to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Top 10 Ford Thunderbird Gift List! Click here.

Dismiss Notice

02-05 Towing with a Gen 11?

Discussion in '2002 - 2005 Ford Thunderbird' started by Kevin in CDA, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Today I helped a friend move. When we finished, I followed him to the U-Haul store so I could give him a ride home after he returned the truck. While he was at the counter finishing up with the paperwork, a wandered the area looking at random things. They had a display set up that had 4 or 5 different hitches that they had for sale. What caught my eye was one was labeled as fitting the 2002-2005 Thunderbird. I had never even previously considered the possibility of towing, however, this got me thinking about a possible remedy for what I perceive to be one of the birds biggest drawbacks, the lack of cargo space for an extended road trip. I was thinking something sized like this https://www.harborfreight.com/1090-...tility-trailer-62645.html?_br_psugg_q=trailer with a small box mounted on it, to allow the carrying of a few extra bags. Anybody have any experience pulling a trailer? The guy at the U-Haul place said if I wanted the hitch he would give me a really good deal, as it had been sitting there for at least 10 years that he knew about.

Dan Gosney and Tomstoy like this.
  2. biddle

biddle Forum Moderator Staff Member

Please include the model year in the subject on future posts. Added for you.
    model-year.jpg

3. No problem to pull a small trailer. I have towed with smaller cars than the t-bird. Don't pull more than 500 pounds and dont accelerate hard. And please get a small, aerodynamic trailer. That harbor freight trailer was so ugly.

5. I’ve thought about it too. But I once saw a Corvette pulling a trailer made to look as if it had been made out of the rear portion of another Corvette. I think that would be cool to have a trailer with the rear of a bird. I just don’t know where to start.

Help us by sharing/liking this page!

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!