02-05 rear oxygen sensor problems

John Hayman

John Hayman

Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Anyone have trouble with the rear oxygen sensor?

are you getting codes that show it is bad?

Make sure you include something meaningful in your subject when you post so you get more responses. "oxygen sensor" doesn't really mean much. could be wanting to buy one, sell one, problem, etc. I updated for you.

My check engine light has came on several times and the code said it was a forward oxygen sensor. I reset the code and it goes away for about 6 months then comes back. I've decided not to worry about it till it starts doing it more frequently. Wish I could be of more help.

The problem has gone away again (2nd time). When the check engine light came on I went to AutoZone for an OBD analysis. The first time (a month ago) it went away the next day. This time four days ago - same analysis and I put in some gumout regane fuel system cleaner and drove 30 miles. Next day, no light.

Use Seafoam on a regular basic and you will notice the difference in about 2 treatments. It’s the best product on the market right now. Good luck Rick.

Use Seafoam on a regular basic and you will notice the difference in about 2 treatments. It’s the best product on the market right now. Good luck Rick.
I bought Seafoam a year ago and used it. Perhaps it is better than the others.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys that "use Seafoam on a regular basis" Do you do everything that is in the directions on the can?
It seems a bit much. I bought a can and read the directions...read the directions....read the directions....then placed the can neatly out of the way so it can't be seen.
Did I do good?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was getting the code for slow response from the o2 sensors. It seemed like it would come on if I hit the accelerator hard and then it would go off after some miles of driving nice. I finally changed all four of the sensors myself and it was a pretty easy job. I noticed that the performance improved immediately. All four sensors from rock auto was around $100.

I was getting the code for slow response from the o2 sensors. It seemed like it would come on if I hit the accelerator hard and then it would go off after some miles of driving nice. I finally changed all four of the sensors myself and it was a pretty easy job. I noticed that the performance improved immediately. All four sensors from rock auto was around $100.
Thanks. My light doesn't go off after a while. I have only replaced the pass front. Do they all work in tandem so all need to be replaced? Also is there a check engine light reset other than disconnecting battery ?

That is what I used with success
I bought the set of sensors. However in the meantime we were out and car needed gas. Put in 6 gal of 93octane. Ten Miles later the light went out. I'm keeping the sensors, but only putting in premium from now on.

Back