Thanks Dad, 2003 Thunderbird

Stans'03
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Greetings,
My first post to honor my father, now 85 and slowing down too quickly. He called last night and wants to pass on his 2003 to me, knowing that it goes to a very good home. 43K on the clock and Grey, in very nice condition. I do most of my own wrenching and have a lot to learn about the specifics of this vehicle. I look forward to participating and learning more about this car I have admired for a long time. Living too far up north (MN!) but taking a day off tomorrow to spend with him and bring the unit to a new home. Thanks Dad!

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Welcome to the forum! Your dad knows you'll enjoy this fine sports car as much as he did. The car is wonderful. The only thing you might have to watch is the speedometer. These cars feel like 55mph at 85 mph and will get you in trouble very quick. My wife (Diane) got pulled over for 84 in a 65. She blamed it on the car and the officer let her off with a warning, doesn't happen much anymore. Good luck !! Jack and Diane

Greetings my 'situtational twin' - my Dad will be 83 at the end of the month, and his first T-bird was a 55 that he actually wrote the build sheet for and partially built himself. Growing up, he used to tell me the story often and how his first wife sold it while he was deployed abroad :( Unfortunately he's suffering from Dementia these days which is slowly taking him from me, and has been in my care since he retired nearly 20 years ago.

I bought my Whisper White `03 about 3 weeks or so ago with 43k on the clock just because I wanted to get something that he'd easily identify with - thankfully, he did. He couldn't wait to call his brother-in-law (my uncle) to tell him about it - it was the most coherent I've heard him sound in a long time. I've discovered in my short time here that there's a lot of helpful and friendly people here - and chances are you're bound to find some local owners here as well. I too turned a few wrenches in my day and will drop a nugget of experience here and there if it transposes to these mechanically. See you around!

What a great story.. All the best to you for stepping up to help your dad when he most needs it.. Nothing like taking a ride with the top down and the sun warming your face..

Greetings,
My first post to honor my father, now 85 and slowing down too quickly. He called last night and wants to pass on his 2003 to me, knowing that it goes to a very good home. 43K on the clock and Grey, in very nice condition. I do most of my own wrenching and have a lot to learn about the specifics of this vehicle. I look forward to participating and learning more about this car I have admired for a long time. Living too far up north (MN!) but taking a day off tomorrow to spend with him and bring the unit to a new home. Thanks Dad!
WELCOME, it's nice to hear you are close to your dad, I am sure he is thrilled you will take good care of the car.

Greetings,
Welcome to the group Stan! I to live "way up north" in Minnesota, and put mine to bed 2 weeks ago.....

Great responses Folks, and much appreciated. Good stories out there.
After driving, I see we have a as-of-yet minor COPS issue or lazy transmission on the up-shifting during acceleration. I pursuing both issues with what I've already learned on this good forum.
Snowing here now too.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. My Dad turned 89 earlier this year and also handed in his driver’s license. I only wish the car he gave up was a Thunderbird and not his 2008 Lincoln Town Car. Immaculate condition with 50,000 km / 31,000 miles. You hit the jackpot with your car!

A little north of you (Winnipeg, MB) and peaking under the car cover on a daily basis for the last three weeks to check on my baby. Prior to retirement from Ford I would get a new “summer” car every spring (usually Mustang GT’s) that I had to turn in every fall. It was easier to give them up when they were replaced with new “winter” rides. Nothing quite like storing a sweet ride for the winter to bring home the point that one of the best perquisites of my job was the endless supply of new cars. I was fairly spoiled.

Back