Newbie, Clean 95 T-Bird, Headgasket issue.

C
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
Hey Guys, I just bought a very clean 1995 Thunderbird, 3.8 LX, with 67k Miles. Odometer is broken and plan to fix with new Odometer gears. I did a recent Radiator Flush as I noticed pink fluid with pieces of white globs. So after the flush with peak 50/50 (Green Coolant) the heater had started working again. A week later as I did my daily start in the winter, waiting for spring. I noticed that I now see thicker white smoke coming out from tail pipe and I’m suspecting a possible head gasket issue. Maybe due to age and extreme cold temps lately. I plan to replace thermostat and serpentine belt Once the snow melts. I will most likely attempt to replace the head gasket. Assuming the reason on heavy white smoke. Any words of advice?

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hey Guys, I just bought a very clean 1995 Thunderbird, 3.8 LX, with 67k Miles. Odometer is broken and plan to fix with new Odometer gears. I did a recent Radiator Flush as I noticed pink fluid with pieces of white globs. So after the flush with peak 50/50 (Green Coolant) the heater had started working again. A week later as I did my daily start in the winter, waiting for spring. I noticed that I now see thicker white smoke coming out from tail pipe and I’m suspecting a possible head gasket issue. Maybe due to age and extreme cold temps lately. I plan to replace thermostat and serpentine belt Once the snow melts. I will most likely attempt to replace the head gasket. Assuming the reason on heavy white smoke. Any words of advice?
The 3.8 does have head gasket issues. I have a 97 3.8 and my head gasket blew with 185k. I went ahead and replaced with a new crate engine. I now have 292k an no problems.

Compression check, look for grey, nasty looking oil, a head gasket is an involved job depending on what you have done before, you-tube is a good idea finding source for the scope of the task. FIrst time take your time use your camera for where your connections are. Kinda fun, especially when you get the satisfaction of a job completed correctly. But really be sure your are fixing what needs to be fixed.

I had a '94 with a 3.8 and we had nothing but headaches with the headgaskets and heads. Repaired it and ended up having to replace the heads as well. I'm glad that I no longer own that headache. Lol

My precious has 500,540, miles on her she is my love just started having some issues this baby has been a dream she got me to every where never leaving me stranded ...now having the orange coolant prob just had flush done wish me luck. ooh shes a sweet V8

The reason the 3.8 head gaskets went was the owner NEVER changed the coolant and electrylis built up and ate the gaskets. The gaskets were made in Weatherford, TEXAS and after the problem Ford found a different vender.

Head gaskets for that engine are actually super easy! The most important thing I can tell you is that NEED TO BE SO VERY CAREFUL WITH THE EGR TUBE.... but other than that its like a three hour job no biggie. So take off the intake and be extremely careful with that egr tube. then do the fan and front accessories. pull hoses off. Valve covers. Exhaust manifolds. then do the valve train stuff. head bolts. and you're off.

Back