1. Please sign in or join the Thunderbird club free to access the search page and many other free site features.
    If you forgot your password click here.

Click the "X" to the right to dismiss this notice.
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie, Clean 95 T-Bird, Headgasket issue.

Discussion in '1989 - 1997 Ford Thunderbird' started by ChiBird, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Hey Guys, I just bought a very clean 1995 Thunderbird, 3.8 LX, with 67k Miles. Odometer is broken and plan to fix with new Odometer gears. I did a recent Radiator Flush as I noticed pink fluid with pieces of white globs. So after the flush with peak 50/50 (Green Coolant) the heater had started working again. A week later as I did my daily start in the winter, waiting for spring. I noticed that I now see thicker white smoke coming out from tail pipe and I’m suspecting a possible head gasket issue. Maybe due to age and extreme cold temps lately. I plan to replace thermostat and serpentine belt Once the snow melts. I will most likely attempt to replace the head gasket. Assuming the reason on heavy white smoke. Any words of advice?

2. The 3.8 does have head gasket issues. I have a 97 3.8 and my head gasket blew with 185k. I went ahead and replaced with a new crate engine. I now have 292k an no problems.

3. Compression check, look for grey, nasty looking oil, a head gasket is an involved job depending on what you have done before, you-tube is a good idea finding source for the scope of the task. FIrst time take your time use your camera for where your connections are. Kinda fun, especially when you get the satisfaction of a job completed correctly. But really be sure your are fixing what needs to be fixed.

4. I had a '94 with a 3.8 and we had nothing but headaches with the headgaskets and heads. Repaired it and ended up having to replace the heads as well. I'm glad that I no longer own that headache. Lol

Help us by sharing/liking this page below and G+

Shop Amazon.comPlease shop Amazon.com using this link to support the forum!