squeaking steering wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.
the steering wheel in my 2004 t-bird squeaks like a bevy of mice everytime
i turn it - right or left,
does anyone else having this problem? if so , is there a remedy?

thanks
dick

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi Dick and welcome to TBF:
Here's a TSB for steering squeaks attached. Hope it's of some help to you:

Dick,

I own a 2005 and at 9000 miles (April 2006) it developed a squeak in the steering column as well. I took it to the Ford dealer and they had to replace the rack and pinion steering box.

This fixed the problem and I have not had a problem with the squeaking since.

This may not be the cause of your problem but thought I would share my experience.

COLP

squeaking steering wheel-2004

Hi Dick and welcome to TBF:
Here's a TSB for steering squeaks attached. Hope it's of some help to you:

george
thank you very much for the info from ford to correct the problem

thanks again

dick

Could you be a little more specific as to where to spray the WD40? I read that you should use silicone lubricant because of electrical wires, whatever difference that may make? Thanks

justjon:
Here's what one onwer did himself, for a steering squeek:

"I noticed a mild squeek in steering wheel when driving straight using little corrections. I thought it would disappear ,but after a thousand miles it did not so under the dash I went and put my ear to column while turning wheel slightly I located it further down the column than I thought. Towards firewall.
So I removed under cover..2 plugs and it pulls out. Simple, there is a black plastic ring on column that is positioned on a metal base so when shaft is turned, plastic rubs on metal and squeek. I could feel the vibes also on the ring...a finger of grease around base and no more squeek. Replace the cover and your done....5 min."

Although I don't understand what he means about (removed under cover) and I acknowledge that this info was saved quite a while ago. Anyway, at least you may be able to figure it out from here - Just trying to help.

I had this same problem on my Excursion, where that seal is completely exposed. I bought it in Florida, and too squeaked at every movement. A dab of Vaseline rubbed all over it fixed the problem. I bought it in April of 2007 and I've yet to have to coat it again, so once you do it you probably won't need to again for a long time.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back