squeaking steering wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dick

Last seen
the steering wheel in my 2004 t-bird squeaks like a bevy of mice everytime
i turn it - right or left,
does anyone else having this problem? if so , is there a remedy?

thanks
dick

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Hi Dick and welcome to TBF:
Here's a TSB for steering squeaks attached. Hope it's of some help to you:

Dick,

I own a 2005 and at 9000 miles (April 2006) it developed a squeak in the steering column as well. I took it to the Ford dealer and they had to replace the rack and pinion steering box.

This fixed the problem and I have not had a problem with the squeaking since.

This may not be the cause of your problem but thought I would share my experience.

COLP

squeak

thanks colp

will check that out

thanks for your input

dick

squeaking steering wheel-2004

Hi Dick and welcome to TBF:
Here's a TSB for steering squeaks attached. Hope it's of some help to you:

george
thank you very much for the info from ford to correct the problem

thanks again

dick

had this problem too. comes from the post near the steering wheel. god bless the inventor of wd-40.

Could you be a little more specific as to where to spray the WD40? I read that you should use silicone lubricant because of electrical wires, whatever difference that may make? Thanks

justjon, the shop I use actually did the spraying. I will ask for specicics.

justjon:
Here's what one onwer did himself, for a steering squeek:

"I noticed a mild squeek in steering wheel when driving straight using little corrections. I thought it would disappear ,but after a thousand miles it did not so under the dash I went and put my ear to column while turning wheel slightly I located it further down the column than I thought. Towards firewall.
So I removed under cover..2 plugs and it pulls out. Simple, there is a black plastic ring on column that is positioned on a metal base so when shaft is turned, plastic rubs on metal and squeek. I could feel the vibes also on the ring...a finger of grease around base and no more squeek. Replace the cover and your done....5 min."

Although I don't understand what he means about (removed under cover) and I acknowledge that this info was saved quite a while ago. Anyway, at least you may be able to figure it out from here - Just trying to help.

I had this same problem on my Excursion, where that seal is completely exposed. I bought it in Florida, and too squeaked at every movement. A dab of Vaseline rubbed all over it fixed the problem. I bought it in April of 2007 and I've yet to have to coat it again, so once you do it you probably won't need to again for a long time.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back