Find out how rare your car is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

00mustng said:
....Hi Quickdraw.....I have a Canadian Spec. '02 Inspiration Yellow Premium...#103439.....built October 19, 2001....with a rotation number of 3740....can you explain the correlation between the rotation number and the total number of Inspiration Yellow 'Birds built?.....Is there a breakdown of the export models? :D

00Mustang,

There really isn’t a correlation between the rotation number and total yellows built. The rotation number is a four digit sequence code. VINs are assigned well before the cars are built and before it’s known what day it will be built. The rotation number tells everyone what car is to be built next… one bird to the next may have a VIN different by a hundred or more but the rotation number should follow in sequence.

The color breakdown I have groups Canadian vehicles in with US. Tell me what interior you have and I can tell you how many combined export and US Birds were made like yours but I can’t tell you how many Canadian vehicles were made like that. For 2002 there were 2,518 birds made for Canada.

I see you on BON from time to time but have never noticed you here before. Welcome and I hope you will visit more often.

Larry said:
Quickdraw,
I have a 2003 Triple Black Premium and wondered how many were made. Also have been off line for quite some time and was curious as to the build date of my T-Bird. Here is my VIN 1FAHP60A43Y111303. Do you need any other information. Thanks.
Larry

Larry,
If your triple black has the black accent interior yours is one of 1,176 and if you have the standard black interior its one of 224.

1FAHP60A43Y111303
Ordered: 3/21/2003
Built: 5/5/2003
At Dealer: 5/12/2003
Sold Date: 9/19/2003

QD

02TBRD said:
Hi Quickdraw:

Just curious about how many cars were made like mine:

Year: 2002
Color: Thunderbird Blue
Top Color: Thunderbird Blue
Interior: Partial blue accent
Trim Level: Premium

Thanks!

02TBRD,

Yours is one of 826. Thats just a little less common than mine - mines just like yours but with black accent (840 made). The second most popular combination of all for 2002 was the premium Blue/Blue/Full color and there were 3,778 made like that.

shiftz33 said:
In theory, I already know how "rare" our Pacific Coast Roadster is. Ours is #428 of 1000.

Its a better bet that its even rarer than 1 of 1,000 - :D

There were supposed to be 700 007 Bond cars made but the factory only admits to making 694.

Since you didn't ask - do you already know its birthday? Or don't care? :D

Thunderbirds like to be remembered on their birthday.

ajsam said:
QuickDraw,
2003 Premium, Mountain Shadow Gray Body and HT, Black Ink interior w/ saddle tan accent. Thanks for the service!

ajsam,

Yours is one of 954. No problem for the service - please be an active poster. :D :D

MyTBird said:
Hi, Quickdraw, ok here goes: 2003 /Torch Red / torch red/ black/red interior/
Premium/ Vin#1FAHP60A63Y104921/ Shortvin# 4593. Thanks. Smiles41

MyTBird,
Is your black & red interior the full color red accent or partial red? If its the full red interior it is one of 1,100 and if its the partial red (no color on the dash) then its one of 411.

Congratulations on your first post and I hope there will be many more to follow. :D

......Quickdraw.....thank you for your help....this rotation number thing is interesting....makes me wonder how it is decided what car is built next, and how, for instance mine was assgned the #3740 that it is.....As for the interior,..I have the full accent...with the Inspiration Yellow hardtop.....as an aside....It was Dot that encouraged me to revisit this site....what a breath of fresh air!....When I originally joined I would read longingly about everyones NewBird....never thinking I would have the opportunity to experience the pleasure of ownership of my dream car.....We really enjoy our cars, don't we?...and this site shows that...and your contribution, Quickdraw, is truly fascinating!....Nice to have "met" you!....Cheer! Martin. :D

Thank you!

Quickdraw said:
MyTBird,
Is your black & red interior the full color red accent or partial red? If its the full red interior it is one of 1,100 and if its the partial red (no color on the dash) then its one of 411.

Congratulations on your first post and I hope there will be many more to follow. :D

Appreciate your response. I feel privileged to be among the 'bird worshippers. Question: I have no fog lights just caps. Whats the deal? The Ford service mgr here in Jax said he had never seen another bird WITHOUT those lights. He is checking availability of light kits to install for me.

00mustng said:
......Quickdraw.....thank you for your help....this rotation number thing is interesting....makes me wonder how it is decided what car is built next, and how, for instance mine was assgned the #3740 that it is.....As for the interior,..I have the full accent...with the Inspiration Yellow hardtop.....as an aside....It was Dot that encouraged me to revisit this site....what a breath of fresh air!....When I originally joined I would read longingly about everyones NewBird....never thinking I would have the opportunity to experience the pleasure of ownership of my dream car.....We really enjoy our cars, don't we?...and this site shows that...and your contribution, Quickdraw, is truly fascinating!....Nice to have "met" you!....Cheer! Martin. :D

00mustang,

Its been many years since I worked in an assembly plant but there used to be many factors that went into the decision which car to make next. Most of those things that were factors on a 1965 vehicle are probably not a problem now. Like I can remember they would never run two air conditioned cars in a row as the operators could not keep up because of the extra work.

If ALL the Tbirds were built exactly alike they could pretty much build the cars in sequence according to the VIN that was assigned shortly after the order was received. However even then they would give preference for a car ordered by a customer instead of one ordered for dealer stock. A car ordered days later that has a customer waiting will probably be built before one ordered for dealer inventory (an have a lower rotation number). And color is a factor… although VINs are assigned pretty much as the order comes in, the rotation number is not assigned until all the available components to build that car are in. Maybe the factory got a faulty batch of yellow accent left hand door panels - they probably wouldn’t schedule any yellow interior cars to be built until they had enough stock. Maybe the select shift transmission requires and extra step to install for the assembly person. In that case they would try to not schedule two select shift transmissions in a row. Fitting the hard top is an extra step for installers and the factory would probably try to evenly space the convertibles among the hardtops on the line to maintain as even a workload as possible.

MyTBird said:
Appreciate your response. I feel privileged to be among the 'bird worshippers. Question: I have no fog lights just caps. Whats the deal? The Ford service mgr here in Jax said he had never seen another bird WITHOUT those lights. He is checking availability of light kits to install for me.

The fog lights were, and still are, a zero cost option and dealers are encouraged to order them but some dealers miss the message. Ford would have preferred to make the lights standard on all Thunderbirds but the cost to repair a front end crash at a given speed WITH the fog lights was over a certain threshold. Since optional equipment does not have to be factored into repair costs in determining if it passes the tests Ford was able to meet the requirements by simply making the lights optional (but free).

Yes, you can add the lights later but I believe there is also a short wire loom that also has to be ordered. For some legal reason Canadian built cars do not have the fog lights at all and someone here, I forget who, installed them later.

....Hello Quickdraw......if we can continue....a couple of things...are the rotation numbers re-used on the different T-Bird production runs?...and, now you know I have the full accent interior and yellow hardtop..(Canadian "premium" 'Birds didn't come with chrome wheels)...can you tell me how many export/US 'Birds were made in this combination? Inspiration Yellow,full accent interior,yellow hardtop?.....Cheers and thanks!....Martin :D

00mustng said:
....Hello Quickdraw......if we can continue....a couple of things...are the rotation numbers re-used on the different T-Bird production runs?...and, now you know I have the full accent interior and yellow hardtop..(Canadian "premium" 'Birds didn't come with chrome wheels)...can you tell me how many export/US 'Birds were made in this combination? Inspiration Yellow,full accent interior,yellow hardtop?.....Cheers and thanks!....Martin :D

Yellow/Yellow/Full Yellow Premium is one of 1,930.

Yes, the rotation numbers are four digits and they are re-used. It resets at about 9,800 I believe (doesn't go to 9,999). Since production last year, and this year, are less than 15,000 units not all rotation numbers will be used twice.

You didn't find this new car unsold and new on a lot did you?

Have you checked under the hood for the top two mounting bolts for the headlights? The 2002s have a very high percent of cracked plastic bosses at the top attach point. The 2003 headlight is redesigned. Make sure you check this before your warranty runs out - the fix is a new headlight(s).

Is yours a daily driver or Sunday Special?

....Quickdraw.....thanks...I learn something new, every time I contact you!....We are the second owners.....It started service on a short term lease....Had 8000km. on it when we bought it last December 29....I'm sure Fomoco said it was built Oct 19 2001...Could you find the shipping date maybe?.....It is a daily driver .....and I'll check the headlight brackets....Cheers! Martin :D

My first time posting

Can you tell me how many are like mine?

I bought a 2003 T-Bird Premium, Torch Red with Red Hardtop. Partial Red inserts.

I purchased it from a dealership in South Dakota (I live in Minneapolis) after the bidding on ebay did not reach their reserve price. The reserve price turned out to be $31,700 (I thought that was a steal) I even had it deleivered on a trailor to me for only $300.

Thanks.

Jasper said:
Can you tell me how many are like mine?

I bought a 2003 T-Bird Premium, Torch Red with Red Hardtop. Partial Red inserts.

I purchased it from a dealership in South Dakota (I live in Minneapolis) after the bidding on ebay did not reach their reserve price. The reserve price turned out to be $31,700 (I thought that was a steal) I even had it deleivered on a trailor to me for only $300.

Thanks.

Martin,
I need your full 17 digit VIN to get build & ship dates....

Jasper,
A red/red/partial red '03 premium is one of 411.

Jasper said:
Thanks QuickDraw.

Is one out of 411 good? How does that compare to some other flavors of the T-bird?

The most common combination of all Thunderbirds built so far is the 2002 Black/Black/Black accent Premium with 4,699. There are several combinations with only 1 or 2 made, these are usually the deluxe models with different color hardtops. Like there’s only one Yellow/White/partial yellow interior deluxe.

So what’s good - a high or low number? You could argue the very rare are unique and should command a premium price at resale or you could argue the most popular combinations are the ones most people prefer. IMHO, it won't matter too much either way for resale price. The number of units like yours is a good statistic to list on a placard telling about the car at car shows.

00mustng said:

Martin,
You found the rotation number interesting... heres more info and while you are there please register yours too.

http://www.thunderbirdforum.com/registry.asp

BTW, the number just before the "Y" in the VIN is the year, (2, 3 or 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back