Winter Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

densbird

Supporting Contributor
Last seen
Due to the fact that I am moving and my house will not be ready for at least four months I have to put the T-Bird into storage. Anyone have a good idea on how to do this. I have a cover and location. Should I leave car as is or should I disconnect battery. Any ideas would be appreciated.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

densbird: My blue 2002 went into storage the end of November. A friend of mine from work has a Corvette and gave me this checklist for storing a special car.

1)Have oil changed.
2)Fill the gas tank.
3)Put gasoline stabilizer in the gas tank.
4)Disconnect the battery.
5)Cover the floor of a storage area with a carpet remnant at least as big as the car. This will help reduce tire wear and also keep cold and moisture from a concrete floor from starting rust on the underbody.
6)Once a month, reconnect the battery, start the car, back it out of the storage area and let it run for 15 minutes.
7)Also, I bought a car cover for my Bird.

If I missed anything, some of the other forum members can add their comments.

Good Luck. It's a long boring winter in the North without our Tbirds to drive.

Denny

------------------
2002 blue/blue/full blue
2001 Toyota Highlander
1990 Acura Integra

Originally posted by DEWbird:
densbird:

6)Once a month, reconnect the battery, start the car, back it out of the storage area and let it run for 15 minutes.

If I missed anything, some of the other forum members can add their comments.

DewBird,

I agree mostly with Denny’s list. I do have an exception with the idling the car each month. I feel that running the car at idle does more harm than good. An engine needs to run under load and all that the idle process is doing is causing unnecessary ware and tare.

I’m not sure how long you’re planning to store the car, but if you’re like most car owners that store “special” cars. They usually only keep them off the roads for about 3 to 4 months.

------------------
TBird2003
03 Torch Red with Perf. White Top and Full Red Accent
1996 4.6L Mustang GT Conv. with performance enhancements

if your going to store it, park it and leave it until your ready to un-store it. dont start, that actually will do more harm than good.

------------------
1996 Thunderbird LX 4.6l
1966 Thunderbird "Q" code conv.

My inspiration yellow is in storage for winter. I put it in a "bubble". I also put a little 9volt battery thing-a-ma-jig into the lighter so that when I disconnected the battery, the computer stuff stays ok. I found it in a catalogue.

------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back