Windshield Mishap (Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we've had the car for a month now and about 3500 miles. The day after we took delivery we drove from Atlanta to Orlando -- it was great. Last weekend, we drive to Louisville, KY to spend Thanksgiving with some friends. On the way back through the mountains, a pickup threw a stone into our windshield leaving 2 pits. I called the Insurance company and they sent out a repairman to "invisible mend" the chips. It's not too bad and can only be seen when really looking for it, but it IS there. He tolde me a new windshield lists for $2000.00, but can be had for about $600 installed. I think I'll live with the repair. Geesh!!!!! I hate that!

the windshield game. We'll have to play it but if we eventually get organized enough, we can lower the costs for everyone. My local classic thunderbird club will get together and buy a certain quantity of windshilds and our price will be around $125/windshield(it may have gone up some since the last time the club did that was about 7 years ago.) It's one advantage of belonging to a club - the power of group purchases. If we had to do it without the club, the windshield cost goes up to $400 to $900 depending on final source. If we try to keep our thunderbird parts supplier in business, then we'll opt for the $400 route. The $900 rate comes in when we visit a windshield replacement facility. Of course that's just buying the windshield, then there is the installation charge or you do it yourself. Since we keep a classic, we've learned to do a lot of things ourselves. But we probably won't attempt windshield replacement on our future new tbird for along time.

New board - What was wrong with the old BON
setup it's still up an running.

Popped the LS windshield a couple of weeks
ago. Repair was $60. It can still be
seen but if they cost like the Bird its
not that bad.

robert Lane, webmaster for the bon, informed us several weeks ago that though old members of the old bon could post, new members would not be able to join. So that's why we're encouraging posts here.

Originally posted by DavidA:
Well, we've had the car for a month now and about 3500 miles. The day after we took delivery we drove from Atlanta to Orlando -- it was great. Last weekend, we drive to Louisville, KY to spend Thanksgiving with some friends. On the way back through the mountains, a pickup threw a stone into our windshield leaving 2 pits. I called the Insurance company and they sent out a repairman to "invisible mend" the chips. It's not too bad and can only be seen when really looking for it, but it IS there. He tolde me a new windshield lists for $2000.00, but can be had for about $600 installed. I think I'll live with the repair. Geesh!!!!! I hate that!

One bad thing about cars.... no matter how your driving is, you cannot always prevent accidents. You also cannot prevent parking lot dings no matter where you park people seem to go out of their way to ding you. Sucks when you have a new car, but after a while you come to realize that if you are going to drive it, it will soon be far from new. I took my 96 Mustang GT to close to a curb and ate up the 17" rims, so you new Bird owners keep away from the curbsides!

DavidA
I to am sorry to hear of your misfortune concerning your windshield!! In Va. and many other states, if the vehicle was a "load bearing type" that threw/dropped/or discharged a stone or any other object onto your vehicle, that vehicle is liable under the law to fix/repair/or replace any parts of your car that are damaged. Obviously, you would need the license plate # to proceed with your claim. Hope this helps! Happy Holidays

VABIRD02.

Were you the guest that I was chatting with? That person was from Richmond also...

------------------
Blue/Blue/Full Blue/ Premium/VIN ??? / 21 of 25

David,

Sorry to here about your windshield. The 3rd day we had "Jewel" I about had a heart attack when I heard that unmistakeable crack of a stone hitting the windshield. Fortunately, I was unable to locate any damage. Must have been a very glancing blow. I got luck once in my life. Felt as good as if I had won a prize drawing.

Paul

------------------
#3739 Premium
Torch Red w/matching top
Standard Interior

David, Man, sorry to hear of the hit. I'm up to almost 5000 on mine, and shudder every time I catch up with a dumptruck on the highway. Amadeus won't be making the trip to work until after shopping season---too many cars in the mall parking lot. If things go well tomorrow, he might make a 2nd trip to Atlanta for New Year's Eve and the Peach.

Speaking of windshields-you have to feel sorry for the Bird owners that live in Oregon-that pea gravel they use as sand is nasty on windshields! My dad used to travel for his job as far as Mermiston, OR and Jackson, Wyoming-every time he went to Oregon, he either had a nice crack in the windshield, or some good sized chips. In one year he had to replace the windshield four times. Hope those folks get some kind of rock deflector and bras on their cars-they'll need them!

------------------

Sorry about the ding, Davida. This is strange that so many of us are getting hit with stones. Mine was on my first trip with the Bird. I heard a smack (stone hitting windshield) and my heart sank. Thought it cracked the wind shield. I was too afraid to look, but after I got off the bypass I saw that the shield was ok but, I had a deep deep chip in the paint on the hood, drivers side towards shield. They worked on it a few times, but I still can see it. I am not going to do anything else with it til I get some input from some expert Birders.
Then to compound that infraction, while driving under some walnut(?)tree and a LOUD thump hit me from above. I was afraid to look but, just a "dent" in the paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back