Windows & Water Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife got several lapfuls of water after we put our hard top on and the rains started here in the northwest. It took them three workdays and about six different adjustments to get things so there was no leak. The good news is that you get much better service at the Ford dealership with a t-bird.

Day before yesterday the driver's side window decided to drop but not go up. My wife took it in and they copied the page out of the manual that describes how to readjust it. Nice to know how to fix it but I'm a bit miffed that this bug seems to be built in -- it happens enough that they put how to fix it in the manual. A car of this caliber shouldn't routinely forget window position.

It didn't happen until it got cold around here (25 degrees). Has anyone else noticed this happen in the cold?

------------------
red/red/partial red

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Do you have another Ford now, or before this one?

This is the fourth car I've purchased from this dealer. The '85 t-bird was my first new car ever. I still have a '91 Explorer and a '00 Chrysler 300M, the service shop is shared between both the Ford and Chrysler sides of the dealership.

Funny thing -- none of the other cars rate a free loaner during service, not even the 300M, but the '02 t-bird does.

------------------
red/red/partial red

-

I haven't encountered any problems with the windows - yet. However, I did have to take her in to the dealer with a minor problem, and they gave me a loaner too. I must say that during the first two years that I had my '95 bird, I always received a loaner too. But the service was terrible - don't even get me started. That's why I didn't go to that dealer for the '02.

I am not sure if the window problem is unique to the T-Bird. My last three BMW's also had the same problem where the drivers window would not go up or required repeated "playing" with the button to close the window. I agree however that you should not have this type of problem.

------------------

Hi saj,
I also have red/red/partial red interior. Last night my wife noticed some water on the passenger side of the car. There appears to be a small leak near the bolt for the hard top on that side. Is that what you were referring to with the dealer having to make adjustments, or was your leak only caused by the window not sealing correctly?

tbirdsrgo,

That is EXACTLY the same issue my wife had. The water pours out from the joint after it has been sitting out for a while. We would also find water on the seat sometimes without having to drive it. The window was rising back up at this time.

They did several adjustments on the window, adusted the seals on the hard top, plus a couple of other things I'm not remembering of the top of my head. They had the car for three days working on it.

I know the seal adjustments are listed in a TSB.

The good news is that it is quite dry inside now.

------------------
red/red/partial red

-

Thanks saj. I have to go back to the dealer to have a ding in a wheel well fixed and a small paint chip taken care of (with the correct color this time), so I will let them know to check the seal on the hard top too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back