Wheels Pealing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doctor Dirt

Click here to upgrade
Last seen
Thunderbird Year
3 of the 4 wheels on my 2004 T-Bird are pealing the coating off on the inside. The plies looks like aluminum . My guess is that it needs to be stripped and recoated.
Possibly powder coating or Imron paint?
Has this happened to anyone and is this a fault with the Premium Wheels?
thanx Doc

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Yes Dr. D:
The Aluminum oxidizes and bubbles up on the bead area. Thus creating slow leaks from the tires.
I took my daily driver into a local Tire shop for a slow leak on two wheels. They took the tires off and showed me. They cleaned and buffed the inside and coated it. With what I do not recall. Once dried they remounted the tires.
BUT, they said that's good for 4-5 years and may start again. -- By the way, so far no issue on the TBird, but that has low miles and is not my daily driver :cool:

pealing

Thanks George, sorry about the double thread I guess its been on my mind ha!
I'm not that happy with the Premium wheels on my black car so I might change them. Would anyone know if 18x8 would fit?
My local Ford dealer doesn't seem to like my car..............I don't care for them either, I've used the local Lincoln store instead of Ford.
Seems the T-Bird club members don't care for the car either, imagine car club people being snobs......................the little 55-57 folks aren't to gracious it seems on my local level. Must be the Jaguar block????

How about the rim sizes???? thanx George
Doc.

Our TBird Club accepted us and our Retros and we all get along. It's New England Vintage Thunderbirds, NEVT. Check their website

Glad you are w/a Lincoln dealer. Great Choice. The wheels? I'll try to help...

Thanks George, but How about the rim sizes???? thanx
Doc.

Doc:
I don't know much about wheel sizes. But I changed my 2002 wheels to the ones that look the same as the Nieman Marcs model wheels.
FYI in 2002 TBirds came with 7 spoke chromed wheels or the less expensive models had 21 spoke painted aluminum wheels. These were very similar to the NM wheels. So, a few years ago I bought a set of these and sent them out to be stripped and Chromed. They really sparkle in the sunlight.

In case you do not know what I'm talking about, This model was a black TBird with a satin silver hard top with special wheels. I just did a search and here's a youtube clip that shows them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Kldy-yZGg

Last edited:
sizes

Most options are 18x8 my guess is a small spacer might be needed. I'm still looking for the stock 17x7.5, theres a few selections by Helo & Motegi & Milanni.
What I found on sale but their gone were Ford Focus Race 18x8 Black Gloss 5 spoke, they were nice. My dealership couldn't or wouldn't help with finding out if they would fit. I had all the specs but they sold!!! My Ford dealer is a waste of time. My local powder coated said he couldn't guarantee that the front of the wheel wouldn't be damaged when cleaning the inside rim. I figured I could strip the rim then take them to a friends body shop and prime and paint them. I'm guessing the chrome side might take some time to degrade!
The face of the wheels look good and cleaning them up for 40.00 per wheel is ok by me.
Or find some new wheels and just store these as is and when the car goes the Premium wheels go with it.
The few I like will cost 500.--600. these Michelins are 225. each, my front tires are fine 12k the rear are original 34k (10 yrs) they have to go!
So do I buy 2 or 4?? HA!!
George if you have any ideas throw them at me!! thanx Doc

Most options are 18x8 my guess is a small spacer might be needed. I'm still looking for the stock 17x7.5, theres a few selections by Helo & Motegi & Milanni.
What I found on sale but their gone were Ford Focus Race 18x8 Black Gloss 5 spoke, they were nice. My dealership couldn't or wouldn't help with finding out if they would fit. I had all the specs but they sold!!! My Ford dealer is a waste of time. My local powder coated said he couldn't guarantee that the front of the wheel wouldn't be damaged when cleaning the inside rim. I figured I could strip the rim then take them to a friends body shop and prime and paint them. I'm guessing the chrome side might take some time to degrade!
The face of the wheels look good and cleaning them up for 40.00 per wheel is ok by me.
Or find some new wheels and just store these as is and when the car goes the Premium wheels go with it.
The few I like will cost 500.--600. these Michelins are 225. each, my front tires are fine 12k the rear are original 34k (10 yrs) they have to go!
So do I buy 2 or 4?? HA!!
George if you have any ideas throw them at me!! thanx Doc

Doc: My '02 has 19,000 miles and original tires. The past two years the dealer says their OK. But next year I'm definitely replacing all 4 tires.
Wheels? I don't know what to tell you, other than just shop at wheel shops, or find TBird wheels you like. Personally I prefer the Neiman Marcus wheels or the very close look alikes. If I see any do you want me to contact you? If so PM me your email address :cool:

wheels

Found a great price on a stock size rim by Konig, 4 (0S78508) gloss blk 10 spoke (thin) with 2 new MXM4 Michelin (stock) tires mounted. My front tires are from 2011 with 13k on them so they'll go on the back and the new to the front.
The Michelins were 216. each and that's the best price I found, the wheels with lugs and stems hardware were 531.00, I thought it was a very nice deal and I decided to go a bit "retro" with the blackout look.
The stock wheels will be cleaned and primed and painted on the backside while trying to maintain the front of the wheel.

Normally I don't change a stock look that I like but in this case I think springing for a new look is fine. Plus I'm tired of spending time on wheels
I must have researched this stuff for a 8 days and there's only so many 17" rims available for this car.
On to the next problem.
Doc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back