What tires come standard? (20" wheels???)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read that they're Michelin Pilot HX-MXM4. I know they're 235/50 VR17.

But Michelon doesn't offer this tire in this size (to the public). Someone please let me know EXACTLY what tire comes with the car.

Also, I was thinking of getting a bigger wheel. Then I could preserve (mothball) the stock rims.

Is 20" too much? (Is there such a thing?) Unfortunately Michelin doesn't offer a "Performance Luxury" tire that big. Maybe I'll just go with 18", in which case I could probably buy the same tire as comes with the car.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

The Michelin Pilot tires are available to
the general public, but you have to do a litle digging. I bought a set of Neiman Marcus wheels to put on my Red Premium bird
and wanted to keep the old wheels and tires
in tact. The Michelin LA warehouse had them
and Discount tire in Scottsdale got them for
me. We mounted and put them on the car last
week boy what a different look. I really like it. All the side surface edges on the
neiman wheels are highly polished and then
plated unlike the rough surfaces on the Premium 7 spoke wheels. By the way I had the Ford dealer order the wheels and they were
in stock in the LA warehouse and here in 2 days.
The tires are exact OEM tires they just aren't listed in the retailers books yet.
Costs; Wheels 503.00 each, Tires 227.00
each.
RONBON

Interesting. I'm considering downgrading to the Deluxe package and using the $$ towards nicer rims. The NM definately look great.

But $2,000 may be too rich for me. I could get nice Chrome over Aluminum rims for $1200.

And I could even go up to 18" like they did with the Custom - but then I'd have to spend $900 on rubber.

Check with RTBRD and FDChief-they both have custom rims on their birds. FD has a set of Coddington wheels on his-not sure what RT has but both sets of wheels look great!!!

------------------
**********, **************************

-

jboriott,

You can goto: RTBRD's Wheels

to view the wheels that I put on. They are 17"x7.5" Boyd Coddington billit aluminum Bitchin Blasters at $345 each and I used the stock tires off the 7 spokes.

Open the folder labeled "jodrod's", there I have pix of the car before and after the installation. I also painted the brake calipers red and that can be seen in the last photo.

Also in the "New_Rides\Neiman W..." folder are some pix of FDCAPTAIN's ( I think) car with the aftermarket wheels.

Goto: FDCAPTAIN's Wheels

I don't remember off hand who it is or what size tire they used, but someone put on a set of 18" HREs (540's I believe, mucho dinero). Maybe they will chime in here.

I also remember reading quite a while back when asked why Ford did not put larger wheels/tires on the car the response was that this was the largest combination they could fit without clearance problems, although the above seems to disprove that. Anyway, I would definately check the fit of a larger combination before commiting to buy.

-

I did find "RTBRD's Wheels". Great pix!

I checked every folder at "FDCAPTAIN's Wheels" (the link you reference in your post) but can't find the photos. Please advise.

IF ANYONE HAS PIX OF THEIR BABY WITH 18" WHEELS PLEASE POST AND GIVE COMMENTARY, e.g. type of rubber, ride and handling changes, does the tire rub against the wheel well, etc. Thanks in advance.

Hi board. I registered with Yahoo Groups as fdnmbird and belong to five groups and when jodrod changed his handle to RTBRD I changed my handle from FDCAPTAIN to my Yahoo handle which is "fdnmbird" = more car related.

The Firestone Firehawk LH V-rated tires Tires
are now going for $120 @ up from $69.
The economy is recovering and prices are going up on just about everything, but your retirement investments.

Boyd Coddingtons wheel prices also went up.

------------------
'56 Fiesta Red Bird
'02 Neiman Marcus Bird
Can't find a better way to Fly!

wink.gif
thenewtbird2 the tire pressure is listed on a sticker in the door jam. Mine says 30 front and rear.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies
a dog a cat and a couple hundred fish in my pond

Originally posted by Gobird:
wink.gif
thenewtbird2 the tire pressure is listed on a sticker in the door jam. Mine says 30 front and rear.

Mine also says 30 (cold).Note the sidewall says 44lbs max. Interesting that when the car was delivered each tire had 38 lbs. The dealer said that with so much attention to tire failure they felt 38 was better.
Point is you should check the pressure (initially and at least once a month) I am running 34lbs in mine. Why 34? Who knows.

I think all tires come over inflated from the factories. That's to make sure they are properly seated. It's always up to the dealer prep to check the tire pressure. Years ago, when I was in the car business, we used to let the tires run under inflated so the cars would ride softer. Probably, 34 lbs is about right for wear and handling.

Gobird,
I have no door jamb yet to check and friend can't get to his door jamb to check - packed parking!

and thanks for the info - I've sent it on to the inquirer.
smile.gif

-

biggrin.gif
Joe, like they say everyone likes a little a-- but no one likes a smart a--.

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies

biggrin.gif
That's ok all in fun. You have to laugh every now and then even if your Bird gets HIT!!

------------------
02 T-Bird 9293
69 Vette
73 MGB
97 F-150 4x4
2-Seadoo Jet Skies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back