What is the best exhaust? | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

What is the best exhaust?

• Thread starter Thread starter EBird
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

EBird:
Welcome. Use the search function above and you'll find lots of info.
Type in exhaust mufflers, and have fun reading.

I am from the old school and wanted the '50's sound of the 'flatheads'. I had Borlas put on and I am not totally happy. Most owners that have them like them though.
There are Flowmasters, Borlas and I think one other out there. Or you could just take off the resinators and see if that's the sound you wanted.
Whatever pou do let us know😎

Best exhaust

If you take off the resonators you may have a problem. On the Retro T-Bird the resonators are in the middle of the car (the little ones) wheras the mufflers are at the rear. The resonators have a cross over pipe connecting them and if you take that off, you defeat the vacuum effect needed to pull air out of the exhaust manifold. Look for performance problems if you do that.

Borlas sound great but are expensive because you are replacing the from the cats back.

I knocked off the stock mufflers and just installed Magna flows. This will not give the performance of a cat back system but the sound is almost exactly like that of a 2005 GT Mustang.

Rick Rae

Best exhaust

Has anyone left the resinators and just changed the mufflers in back? Like a glasspack or magnaflow?

Yes, I took off the factory cans and put in place Magna Flow part numbers 11255. They fit a bit better than the factory mufflers and give a sound much like the Mustang GT. Sounds burbully at idle, and makes itself known about 2,500 rpm. Sounds awesome at 4,000 and up.

Probably gained some power but not much as it isn't a cat back replacement.

I cut the stock chrome tips off and rewelded them on to the Magna Flows so they stick out about 2" more than stock.

Rick Rae

I went with Glasspacks ! Had the rear muffler cans removed (Huge) and left the resinators.

I had them tuck the Pack up on each side and re-use the Original chrome tip.

No Big Deal..It Sounds Great..Not too Loud but here is enought to know that there is a V8 under the Hood.

EBird:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back