View over the hood

Status
Not open for further replies.
N
I love the way this car looks from the inside almost as much as the outside (can't tell you how happy I am to finally be able to say that). Some scattered impressions:

As I have mentioned before, I sold a '62 Falcon to make room in the garage for the T-Bird. When I first got the Falcon, I remember the revelation of seeing a hood out in front of me again after years of driving Honda Accords and the like, where the road goes all the way down to your kneecaps. The Falcon, being a bird-themed Ford with round tailights and a hoodscoop, shares more than a little DNA with the T-Bird. Having driven the Falcon until recently, I find the view out the T-Bird reminiscent.

On the other hand, unlike the Falcon, the low-slung stance of the T-Bird, with the thrusting fenders gives the impression of a large cat pouncing the road.

Another image came to me last night while driving in the evening. With the snug cockpit, regal roofline, the hoodscoop bulge out front and the cluster of controls centered on it above the console, I was reminded of some exotic and rare luxury coupes of the late '50s and early '60s, like the Facel Vega, Gordon Keeble, Iso Grifo, and Lincoln Mark II. I think the new T-Bird is every bit the equal of those classics in our own time.

Speaking of time and the retro aspect of the car: I find the color of my triple-red to be somewhat "lipstick"-like. I don't mind this; I think it's very hip. I like the way the color on the lower dash picks up the color outside the car. Coupled with the instrument graphics and the afore-mentioned view over the hood, I find that the accumulation of retro elements serves, paradoxically, to make the car seem more futuristic to me than, say, a Taurus ever could. The presence of these half-remembered, yet transformed elements heightens my awareness of just how distant 1955 really is.

This may be a factor of my age - 45. I'm curious how those of you of other ages (or backgrounds) perceive these things.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

I am reminded of my first muscle car which was a 1967 Pontiac GTO. I had a hood scoop similiar to the T-Birds that I used to look at while driving the car. The site of looking through the window at the T-Birds hood scoop brought back fond memories.

Well-I may get my wish to drive one on a long distance trip-and I can't wait!! Will make the wait for my 05 that much harder, but the thought of driving down Route 66 in a two-seater is making me drool uncontrollably!

------------------
**********, **************************

Nice description.

I have owned some 30+ cars. I remember well the "cocoon-like" feeling of driving my 57 Tbird. I am looking forward to more of the same in the new one.

3/18 build

Chuck

I concur with the discussion. This car even feels nostalgic driving it..there is something about the dash in combination with he hood scoop that puts your right back in time....I'm not real big on the 50's music (late 60's is more my style) but it seems soooooooo appropriate. cool ride.

I have noticed that this car has the remarkable ability to nurture that nostalgic feeling for everyone, regardless of age. Getting behind the wheel is truly invigorating. But you don't even have to drive it, just looking at its classic lines is an emotional experience. I think that is largely because the original roadsters are classics that were "adopted" by every generation since their original creation.

Teens of the late 50's were around during their original heyday, some remember family or friends who owned the car. They admired, and even coveted the car.

The 60's were my generation for the birth of car mania. Although I loved muscle cars, I would have instantly traded my Mustang for a two seat Bird! That was a no-brainer. Even Camaro and 'Cuda lovers appreciated the unique place held by the original Bird.

Those growing up in the 70's were reconnected to the car by American Grafitti, and Happy Days. They learned that drive-ins with car hops were cool. They rediscovered Cherry Cokes and malts.

Kids of the 80's and 90's love the Bird. Many of us have seen the eyes light up on a teenager or youngster, and the rest of you will very soon. They admire the car, and I don't think they even know why. Not yet... but they will!! I like to think that perhaps we are creating nostalgia for them right now.

I'm enjoying every minute...

------------------
Chris
2002 Premium
Thunderbird Blue/Blue/Partial

My daughter is 9, she was astounded when I brought it home, the first words out of her mouth was "Daddy its so...... Cool!".

She loves coming along for cruises and waving to anyone pointing...

Although my wife has never been a car fanatic, this one has lit a flame that she herself cannot explain...

Is it contagious, I don't know, but there is something about some cars that just do this to people. I think its in the proportions and in the lines of the car.

Antropologist have studied the human perception of beauty twards the opposite sex, and have found mathematical models to map the definition of beauty.

I wonder if the same would apply, I would have to think that it is the case...

If anyone has ever taken the time to read Godel, Esher, Bach, an eternal golden braid. Some of the purity in mathematical models parallel this line of thought.

An eternal fan of Tbirds,

EricT Blue/Blue full accent#7641

I absolutely agree with you Erict. There is the nostalgia factor as noted by birdbrain, but the beauty of this car - as was true of the '55 - is timeless, and is rooted in the lines, proportions, and human perception of beauty. Frank Lloyd Wright said "You must learn to distinguish the truly beautiful from the merely curious." (He meant curious in the now obsolete sense of something that provokes interest.) It's true - a lot of things are attractive just because they're cool, but that attraction doesn't last. This car is attractive because it's cool, but also for deeper, more lasting reasons. Its novelty won't wear off as some have suggested. Those who have suggested that have eyes that are dead to beauty. I have wanted a 2-seat bird since I was 16.

Dave, re. your thoughts about music, I'm not a huge fan of '50s rock either - before my time. Right now I have the 6-CD loaded with some newer Rock (Third Eye Blind and Tonic) discovered during my midlife crisis years, and also some jazz and Bossa Nova (Vinicius Cantuaria). I find I like the Bossa Nova the best with the car. It is lilting and beautiful - like the car. An embarrasment of beauty.......

One more thought about those hood contours (and nostalgia): I find that the contours are very Ford-like. The arching instrument binacle is like the '56 and '57 Fairlane. The view over the hood reminds me of my old Falcon, and also of the '52 Ford that my dad used to drive home as a loaner from his mechanic Clarence when I was little. It convinces me that Ford should build the '49, and I mean now, not 3 years from now; strike while the iron is hot. I would put the '49 in the "curious" or "cool" category, and not in the intrinsically beautiful category. Nevertheless, I think it would be a blessing on the market, and a very hot seller.

Thanks to all who added to this thread. It's nice to know what makes you (us) tIck.

For those that have posted here-

You should consider gathering all of these thoughts, and sending them on to the workers at Wixom. You'd be surprised to know how much of a moral booster the words you type are to those guys and gals building our babies.

------------------

Get WixomPooh involved in that one-after the letter from Paula was posted, I think everyone in the Wixom Plant is eager for more!

------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back