Undercoat | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Undercoat

• Thread starter Thread starter RLS
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

RLS said:
I just purchased a new 2005 Bird, do I need to have it undercoated and if so what type would you recomend.

I've never heard of anyone getting their Thunderbird undercoated. The factory does a tremendous job of rust-proofing modern cars. The last time I got an undercoat job was in the 80's from Rusty Jones and the car rusted out ALL over... the "tar" seperated a bit from the interior panels and moisture was trapped between that and the outer skin - big time rust! Then Rusty Jones went bankrupt and I got zip.

My last car was a 1994 Thunderbird that was just beginning to show a spot of rust when I got rid of it after nine years/95,000 miles - it was only waxed once and was never garaged and went through Chicago's winters with road salt.

The way I understand Ziebart works is that you MUST bring the car in for inspections, I think, every six months - I'd never remember to go. Then they say if it needs to have material reapplied during these inspections it is free. The catch is they will charge you to clean the undercarrage before they can apply the free material.

Then consider the Tbird front fenders, hood, roof and deck lid are rust-free fiberglass.

I plan to give my Tbird to a grand-daughter in 13 years when shes 16 and I never considered undercoating. However I only drive it 2-3,000 miles a year and never in the snow or rain.

If your driving conditions are very harsh, and you plan to keep the car forever, it's your call.

Thanks for the reply, I just hate to think of putting black stuff all over the under carriage, but if I must, I'll have to consider it.
I only have a hundred miles on it,(3rd day), but I can't stay out of the garage. I owened a 57, 40 years ago, when my wife and I started dating. The 05 is the same color as the 57, so it was easy to fall in love all over again. The car is an absolute hoot, I can't get the grin off my face.

RLS said:
Thanks for the reply, I just hate to think of putting black stuff all over the under carriage, but if I must, I'll have to consider it.
I only have a hundred miles on it,(3rd day), but I can't stay out of the garage. I owened a 57, 40 years ago, when my wife and I started dating. The 05 is the same color as the 57, so it was easy to fall in love all over again. The car is an absolute hoot, I can't get the grin off my face.

Dont tell me you got an Inca Gold? My first car was an Inca Gold and white 1957 Ford convertible and I would love to have one, even though I haven't seen the 2005 color in person.

RLS:
For what it's worth, I too stay away from undercoat.
I sold my '56 when I bought mine in 2002 and plan to keep it. It's my '56 replacement fun car and I do not plan on undercoating - Just my opinion 😎

Thanks for the opinions on the undercoat, I really haven't given it any more thought as I have been busy applying a paint sealant on the car. Wow! Red really pops when you give it the paint cleaner/paint sealant treatment. This car is so much fun, I can hardly stand it.

Paint Sealer

What Is The Story With Paint Cleaner/sealer? Who Does It & What Is Involved? I Have A Torch Red '03 & I Think The Paint Could Be Brighter And More Vibrant....

SHINE in PAINT

ROADKING

I too have an 03 Red Bird. Have used a product for washing and waxing called ZAINO POLISH. Look it up on this site in about 2003. I love the stuff water beads up well and a great deep lustre.

Dennis

ROADKING said:
What Is The Story With Paint Cleaner/sealer? Who Does It & What Is Involved? I Have A Torch Red '03 & I Think The Paint Could Be Brighter And More Vibrant....

We won't know what RLS used until he comes back but, yes, Zaino is very highly recommended... http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

Paint Sealant

I use a product called "The Protector", manufactured by ECP inc. of Burr Ridge, Ill. 60521. 630-203-6800 (info listed on the container) This is a two part system, (1) the cleaner (2) a paint shield overcoat(sealant). It seals the paint and blocks UV. I use the cleaner once a year, more if the vehicle sets outside very much.
I have used this product for ten years on several red vehicles and my Airstream motorcoach(all paint exterior surface). The coach is a 2000 model and my Jeep is a 96 and they both shine like new.
The only place I've found this product is at a local detail shop, I had to really cry big tears to get him to sell the paint shield overcoat (sealant). He does sell the cleaner to coustomers who need refills.

Another Zainos Fan

I have just two coats of Zainos on my Red '03 and it is amazing stuff. Highly recommened!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back