Two second "scrapping" sound in front starting | Ford Thunderbird forum club group 1955-2005 models
  • We're glad you found us via a search engine! Right now, you can join our club absolutely free and unlock member only features like the site search! This notice only appears once! It only takes 30 seconds to register, and we would love to have you as part of the World's largest Thunderbird Forum/Club! Click here to continue

• Click here to remove google ads from the site
  • Click " Like/Thanks" at the bottom of a member's post to reward and thank them for their response! Points are added to their profile.
  • 2002-05 Owners. As of August 2022 there is now an entire suspension kit for sale! Scroll down to the bottom of the first post click here.

• Get rid of swirls and minor paint surface scratches with this Polish & Compounds kit. Click here to read more!.

Two second "scrapping" sound in front starting

• Thread starter Thread starter yrbamje
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yrbamje

Reaction score
There is a scrapping sound from the front end after the car sits up overnight.
According to the local Lincoln dealer, the scrapping sound was, maybe, the timing chain, but they said it was something that just happens. I guess they didn't want to work on it.
So, we took the car to the local Ford Dealer and left it. They couldn't ever hear the sound, so they kept it overnight. The next day they heard it, since it appears to only happen after sitting for a while.
The ran diagnostics all day yesterday on it; starter, belts, all sorts of things I cannot even remember. All diagnostics were negative.
Today, the service guy calls and said that they are going to have to tear into the front end of the car to isolate what's wrong. He said it takes 10 hours to tear it down.???? If they find out the cause and fix it, another 10 hours to put it back together. At 98 dollar an hour for labor, this will be quite a bill. Fortunately we have the premium warranty plan so it should be covered.
Has anyone had a problem like this? Does anyone have any experience with having to "tear out the front end of the engine"?
Thanks in advance.
Jim

Last edited:

This site contains affiliate links for which I may be compensated. As an eBay Partner, and Amazon Associate I may be compensated if you make a purchase at no cost to you.

Jim:
Here are some similar issues from other owners. Hope this helps:

One owner said, When the engine is cold, there is a squealling from the front of the engine that is RPM-related. Eventually, it seems to disappear after a few miles. Once the engine is warm, it does not seem to come back the rest of the day until the car has sat for several hours.. Took to dealer and pulley had gone bad. The belt tensioner was fine but they did replace the belt, too. I quite don't know why because it seemed OK but it just might be standard procedure when you service pulleys and tensioners

2nd guy said, I had the same noise, had the belt check out it was fine the mechanic used a screwdriver and a rag held it on the belt and told me to start the engine and idle for a few seconds shut the engine off, no more noise. He said the belt was just dirty.

3rd guy says, I just replaced the tensioner and belt. Would only squeal during start-up and it had to be cold, down below 40 degrees, and was not an every time style of problem. Service Manager told me there is a service note out about the noise during cold operation. Have extended warranty BUT the pulley-tensioner was ~ $45.00 and I have a $100.00 deductible. Of course they do not cover the belt itself.
Did not make the noise when I started the car, only when I put it into gear, and then only for about 15 to 20 seconds. Time to back out of the drive and go about one house, then it would quit. The belt looked OK and did not squeal at any other time

A 4th guy but possibly a different sound and he says; engine clatter upon start up and then the noise would slowly go away. Apparently after a little noise detection he found it to be a bad timing chain hydraulic tensioner. When the car was sitting the pressure would bleed off over time. He replaced it and it seems OK now. $950 cost
It is most likely the belt idler pulley going bad. That is what had to be replaced on our 05 when it started making loud banging noises on start up. It would clear up once the engine warmed up. Replacing the pulley fixed the problem.

Scrapping sound

Well, the service man called today. After tearing the engine apart, they discovered the tensioner belt was bad. All will be replaced and the engine put back together.
8 days, $2500+ , all covered under the warranty.
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Will give details of the bill when I get it.
Jim

Looks like the same as the 3rd guy above, in post 2

scrapping sound

Things are not well.
Last Thursday the service personnel called and said that they had put the car all back together on Wednesday and waited until Thursday to start it when it was cold.
He said the sound was still there, but not as loud or as long, so they were going to keep it until they could talk to the tech at Ford.
He called back later and said the Ford techs indicated that they had several similar experiences.
Here's the kicker!
Ford tech wants it torn down again and then they will appear on the scene and fix it! Or determine the cause! Or whatever.
They will tear the engine down on Friday, since the guy now knows what to do, in what order and the tools he needs.
Noting I can do except agree.
Friday, service calls and tells me the technician that was going to do the teardown called in sick so it will be Monday before they can get started.
Two weeks tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!
S.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim:
Did you get the car back yet? What are the final results?

scrapping sound

Hi George at al.
Got the car back Thursday. Runs great. It should after being worked on for 3 weeks.
To summarize since last post, the service tech, along with help from FORD itself, managed to discover wll the parts that were not quite right. I have two pages of things that were replaced. Total bill $3000.00 + or minus. Thank goodness for warranty. Cost a 100.00 dollars.
George, is there a way to upload stuff, 'cause it there is I will upload the bill so everyone can see for themselves what was what.
If no way, I'll type them all in.
Jim

Hi Jim: Yes. Just select reply as you normally do. Type in text such as , "here's my bill".
Then scroll down that page and you'll see another selection that says Manage Attachments. Click that on
Then click Browse and you should be able to find the doc you want to attach.
Once it's attached, go to th3e end of the page and click on submit.

If you cannot do that, (some are not allowed) then send me via email or the docs and I'll do it
I for one would be very interested in what they did,
George

here is the bill....finally

I finally got around to sending the bill.
The service tech promised me more details but has not delivered.
Jim

Attachments

• img165.jpg
    img165.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • img166.jpg
    img166.jpg
    804 KB · Views: 6
Thanks Jim....I'm glad I bought my final ext warranty this past fall on my 2002.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back